Night Vision

Pofecks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A few years ago I worked for a company that sold/installed surveillance cameras for the local sheriffs depts and a few schools here in Florida. I used this knowledge and applied it to watching my T's. I can login from anywhere with a internet connection and watch my pets as they move about, unaware of any presence. I keep the lights off in my T room and use a surveillance camera that contains 12 infrared illuminators to light up the cage. I was just wondering if I was the only one that was nerdy enough to do this?

Attachments

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Pofecks said:
I was just wondering if I was the only one that was nerdy enough to do this?
yup....:D j/k, cool idea if you have access to that kind of stuff.

Pofecks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
edesign said:
yup....:D j/k, cool idea if you have access to that kind of stuff.
Its fairly simple tho, got one pc doing the streaming, $90 camera and my internet connection.

Charnoble

Arachnopeon
Can Tarantulas see infrared? I know many bug-like creatures can see parts of the spectrum that we humans can't. Might it be really bright in his cage?

Me,
Charnoble

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Charnoble said:
Can Tarantulas see infrared? I know many bug-like creatures can see parts of the spectrum that we humans can't. Might it be really bright in his cage?
Doubtful, I can't remember at the moment if anyone has measured spider spectrums specifically, but as a rule of thumb, the red and beyond range of light is invisible to inverts. Where many surpass us is by moving up past the violet range of light.

Pofecks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One of the reasons I did this setup was because the blondi seems to be very light sensitive. I do have a red light that I turn on while doing maintenance, but she hears me and hides every time. With the camera in there I don't open the door unless I need something in my closet, or its feeding time. I have a quad for the camera system, that will allow me to switch between my slings and the main cage automatically. This is a fairly simple setup, and I will most likely switch to color cameras in the near future. There is nothing like sitting here at work and watching my T's do their thing undisturbed. :D