All rosie owners, please take this poll

Just how psycho is your rosie?

• Total voters

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just wonder how psycho (or normal) your rosie is. I just bought one 3 days ago and I can't for the life of me tell what mood it will be in from one second to the next! First day she was uber-psycho and tried to bite when I was transferring her to her new enclosure. Next day she was fine, very non aggressive, now for the last week, i cant even walk by the tank without getting a threat display from a cute widdle rosie! :eek: :8o And too she seems to know im VERY allergic to urticating hairs and quite enjoys flicking them at me every time she can. :embarrassed: I dont understand because I gave her a custom 20 gallon terrarium fit for a queen and shes still pissed at me! :wall:

If you have more than one rosie, feel free to vote more than once but please make comments here in the posts and share your stories!

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it won't let me respond to the poll more than once :(

i bought my female as WC mature. she was sweetness and light for a while, than one day she turned psycho. she was constantly nuts for a long time. within the last four months she has calmed down and two weeks ago she molted. i'm still waiting to try and handle her again

i bought a mature male that was awesome! he seemed very curious and was very docile. the only annoying thing was even though he wasn't a kicker his hairs seemed to make me itch more than anything i have ever experienced. it wasn't bad or anything... but it's the only spider that i had to think about if it was worth being itchy to hold. usually it was =P

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had my Morticia for a year now, and she's only kicked hairs once, not long after she molted. She's my friendliest T otherwise, she'll walk on my hand while I'm doing maintenace,never runs or hides even though I rarely handle her. (She does strike some wierd poses once in awhile,though-she sat with her butt in the air for a week) {D And she hates it when I change her water dish- she actually wrestles me for it, even though I've explained time and again that I'm only cleaning it!

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry guys! I clicked the option for being able to submit multiple answers! I dont know what happened. :( Here is the story on my rosie. I have kept rosies for many years and this is the very first one I have ever had to be psycho. For the last 3 nights she has been doing laps in her cage climbing the glass, climbing on the screen top, and never resting till the day time. When I open her cage she goes into the threat display and starts slapping the substrate. I followed the directions earlier and she has a huge immaculate cage all to herself so I don't think it's anything wrong with her environment. anyone have any ideas?

odinn7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had mine for 10 years now and never has she given me any problems. I don't handle her but when I put my hand in the tank she will just sit there and let me do what I need to do. I've "spooked" her a few times (perhaps she was sleeping and didn't realize I was intruding?) and the worst I've gotten is she moves quickly a few inches and then calms down. Never has she kicked hairs or made any kind of aggressive move towards me. She is perfectly behaved...well, other than her new habit of pooping in her water now and then.

rwfoss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Our rosie was our very first tarantula. Since it was my wife's arachnophobia that was keeping the T's out of the house, I let her pick the first T when she was ready. It crawled onto her hand at the pet shop and has been family ever since. Never flicked hairs, never assumed a defense position, never tried to run/jump off of us when handling. {D

Rick

CHIPJVELOZ

Arachnopeon
I've had mine for only four months. The only time I've seen her give a threat display was when I lifted up her log she uses as a burrow, because I had to remove her molt. Other than that, she has been very calm and stays in her burrow whenever I am cleaning her tank. If I startle her, she usually just moves quickly under her burrow. I would say she is usualy very shy.

Last edited:

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had mine a month or so, and she's docile untill she gets spooked, then she seems to "teleport" to the other end of the cage, or run up the wall.
She only did that once, (When I made the mistake of touching her rearmost legs)

I've handled her other times, and she doesn't really care for it, she was getting slightly less skittish each time (once a week), but now she's playing "pet rock in the hole"

Im just glad she stays in there when I go to fill her water dish or clean the poo off the walls. :)

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
really fast blurry pic of what my rosie does every time i open the cage...

prodgers69

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
JeKo said:
I can't for the life of me tell what mood it will be in from one second to the next! First day she was uber-psycho and tried to bite when I was transferring her to her new enclosure. Next day she was fine, very non aggressive, now for the last week, i cant even walk by the tank without getting a threat display from a cute widdle rosie!
You have just described my rosie perfectly, some days I can do whatever I want in her tank and she won't even move, other days, just opening the tank causes a threat display, she has, on more than one occasion even attacked the water when filling her water dish

Scolopendra

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my rosie, Scarlet is like a marshmallow, she hides from everything and has never even flicked hairs at me much less given a threat display. but then there is Shelob, my fiance's rosie, she used to be fairly sweet but just recently she has truned into satan-rosie incarnate. if you open the lid she goes into defence posture and if anything comes near, STRIKE,STRIKE, its dead. kinda reminds me of my A.seemani

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two rosies; one is pretty mellow most of the time, the other is extremely defensive.

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a few and usually all are sweet.
I find that the strangest behavior comes around a molt - before and after - but as with all T generalities, I even have exceptions in my group.

My idea has been that they have that same freaky-gene as A.seemani but are calmer to start so less nervous?
I have a fussy friend about whom another writer-friend said, "It is difficult to know how to please this one, but you know right away when you've pissed him off!"
Goes for my rosie club too.

Jaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good Rosies.

I've had the luck with all mine. My male has only tried to bite me once (Which was my fault since he was trying to eat.). All my females and the other male have been calm and cool.

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My G. rosea is completely calm. Never bites, never flicks. I think you'd have to be twisting a leg out of it's socket before she'd strike at you.

Puppet Master

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mine can be a wierd about half the time, some days she is a sweethart and will be very calm and crawl into my had and be a good girl and other days she is skidish and will do weird crazy things like she will climb on the wall of her cage and then just slide down, and she will slid down onto her head and stay that way, or she will just climb and slide down and do it again and again for hours, I know nothing is wrong with her cause sometimes she climbs the same spot on the glass and will just hang their and not move, they are abit looney

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I've had a few different ones, and they were all different personality types. Some of them were quite defensive, and some were quite mellow. The one thing they all had in common was unpredictability though!

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive had 3, 2 very calm and one that would run at my hand and just run into it then she would back up and start bouncing and run into my hand again. really startled me the first time, thought she had me. but she never did try to bite me. just a little head bunt and she was fine, i could clean her cage and she would totally ignore me once she had her little fit.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
prodgers69 said:
You have just described my rosie perfectly, some days I can do whatever I want in her tank and she won't even move, other days, just opening the tank causes a threat display, she has, on more than one occasion even attacked the water when filling her water dish
Hehe... now I don't need to describe my mature male. That's my boy :D

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Of course my G. rosea's are most mothers at this point so that could account for some anger issues. I'd have to say that I really never know how they'll act though.