PDA

View Full Version : Scutigera - Toxic if ingested (by bearded dragon)?



BoomerSub
09-22-2005, 10:02 PM
My friend is in the process of setting up a large number of beardies in tubs in his (heated, finished) basement, and is concerned that the native spiders and scutigeromorphs may pose a threat if eaten, like fireflies and ladybugs. I think he's being paranoid but I'm posting this anyway to ease his concerns.

Anyone here have any input, one way or the other?

-PK

Galapoheros
09-25-2005, 03:48 AM
OK, I'll go and give you my opinion since nobody else has. It may not be accurate. My opinion is that if it's poisonous, it will taste bad and the beardies will spit it out. Most things that are poisonous, taste bad. They taste bad because they are poisonous. It's how the poisonous thing survives. It tastes bad so it won't get eaten. Not much point in nature making something that tastes good that is poisonous. I wouldn't worry about it.

danread
09-25-2005, 07:51 AM
OK, I'll go and give you my opinion since nobody else has. It may not be accurate. My opinion is that if it's poisonous, it will taste bad and the beardies will spit it out. Most things that are poisonous, taste bad. They taste bad because they are poisonous. It's how the poisonous thing survives. It tastes bad so it won't get eaten. Not much point in nature making something that tastes good that is poisonous. I wouldn't worry about it.

Obviously you've never kept bearded dragons before! :) They have the most amazing appetite, and would probably eat anything if it was small enough to fit in their mouth, regardless of the taste.

My guess is that any native centipedes wouldn't be a problem, since i've never heard of a case of them being harmful in the past. It's always a good idea to keep any pet lizards away from wild caught prey anyway, to prevent parasites and the spread of illness.

Cheers,

Galapoheros
09-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Your right! Never have had one. Looks like they would be a good all around lizard to keep. I didn't really like them at first. But you can't help but see them in the pet stores now. I watched them for a while. They aren't as nervous as they first looked like they would be to me. I'm slowly losing interest in herps though. That's a strange feeling because I've collected for many years. I may keep one or two things now and then but it looks like I'm switching to inverts. Man! Allot of people really like those lizards, by crackie(?)!

Wade
09-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Fireflies and ladybugs are known to be toxic to animals that eat them, but I've never heard this about any spiders or centipedes.

Wade