• Pet Show

Votes: 69 28.3%
  • Other Collectors Privately

Votes: 68 27.9%

• Total voters

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would like to hear opinions of members as to preference of who from or where they would like to buy a Tarantula from and why.

1. Pet Shop

2. On line Dealer

3. Pet Show

I won't give my opinion till later. If you think of another source of T's
feel free to add it.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I prefer an online dealer simply because there aren't many shows near me and the few that there are require me to rent/borrow a car, pay for tolls, and/or take a train to get there (since I live in NYC and have no need for a car otherwise). And even then, there is no guarantee they'll have what I'm looking for once I go through all the trouble of getting there. I don't think I'd buy a T from a pet store (so far, I never have) unless it was in bad shape and needed to be rescued. Plus I've never seen a T in any of our pet stores here. NYC is more of a dog town, than an invert town, I think. I think people don't feel T's are trendy enough for them (of course, they just so happen to be wrong!). That would be my two cents.

Karen

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Another choice would be "from other collectors privately."

I buy mine from dealers (whether it be online or at a show) and individuals that sell ones out of their collection.

I don't purchase from petstores, as more often than not the spiders are not well-cared for, over-priced, and typically WC. It's the same reason I don't buy from vendors at a show that only have deli cups full of WC tarantulas - I feel that captive-breeding is very important to the hobby and many WC tarantulas can bring along a parade of parasites and/or other "fun things" that I'd not like to have to deal with.

Niloticus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mexican8s said:
I would like to hear opinions of members as to preference of who from or where they would like to buy a Tarantula from and why.

1. Pet Shop

2. On line Dealer

3. Pet Show

I won't give my opinion till later. If you think of another source of T's
feel free to add it.
Well, if at all possible, I prefer buying my T's at a pet show. Allows you to look at various tarantulas and pick the one you want. Many online dealers are present at these shows, so it makes things even better. I'd say a pet shop is my least favorite because their animals are typically very expensive for nothing but WC junk. Especially the pet stores in my area. They don't take very good care of their stock.

Niloticus

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer

i purchased my first at a pet store, price was ok but only on the pink toes heh. the rest were a bit pricey. i like being able to see them and pick which one. all the rest i have are from online dealers. so far that works great for me, get to compare all the dealers prices in one place. i really want to go to a show though. i know ones coming up in miami sometime. i figure you have online dealers there, and everyone there selling has to compete with all the others right there, so you get to choose which one, from which dealer all in the same room. no shipping for the t, and no paying for it either. shipping adds up.

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The majority of mine are form online dealers. I have a few form petstores but I decided to stop buying from petstores are together for the exact same reasons the other Becca stated above.
No T or Herp shows ever come any where near me so I have never been to a show yet alone bought anything at one. Given the chance though, I porbably would pruchase some form the same people at the shows that i buy form online.

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Hey All,

An actual poll has been added to this thread. I attempted to add the votes in accordance with your posts.

Hope I got them right. :)

SamtheMan

Arachnopeon

Coming from NYC there are no tarantulas for sale in any pet store I have ever been in. The only show nearby is in White plains which is just far enough to be an inconvenience and I'm never in town when it is. So for me, online dealers and other collectors are my only real option. Plus, they usually care more about their animals than a pet store anyway and they keep better records.

xWARxPATHx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've bought almost all of my tarantulas from an online dealer. I however bought one from a petshop that pretty much had it in the nastiest mold infested cage.

Last edited:

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've just started keeping tarantulas and so far I have one from online, and three from reptile and pet stores, i'm not sure if they are wild caught or not and wouldn't consider them "junk" as someone put it. :rolleyes:

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Which do you think I chose? ;P

Seriously, hobbyists are fortunate that there are a number of highly experienced online dealers with first-rate animals and good customer service. I recommend me {D but I could name a dozen other dealers that I have recommended or would recommend.

The best of both worlds is to buy from a reputable online dealer when they are displaying at a reptile show in your area, but since a lot of us don't have the time or desire to do many shows, I'd have to say the convenience of shopping from your office or home (some of us even have online shopping carts) outweighs the experience and stick with ordering online from a well-known dealer as the best method.

Cheers, Michael

Last edited:

BGBYTOY

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have purchased all 15 of mine from "You Guys" right here at A.B.

I have had very good service and animals from the members here.

There are a few other Tarantulas that I have on my list ( whom doesn't?) And when ready for them, I'll check here, or I may go to one of the Dealers here to get them..

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just being from an arachnohostile state makes it difficult to get them. I cannot get them at a store so i usually go to the White Plains show. It beats having them shipped and paying out the <edited> for shipping. That and I get to see all the people who have far worse an impulse buying problem than me.

P.P.'s Mom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like shows the best. It's an exciting atmosphere any you have dozens to choose from. The only reason I didn't pick online dealer is because it's too easy. Before I know it, I've ordered 6 T's and spent $200! Shows are far enough between that keeps my spending to minimum.

P.S. I just returned home from Del Mar Fairgrounds here in San Diego with 5 new additions: A. avic, A. purpurea, E. campestratus, E. murinus, and E. cyanognathus. All are babies from <edit>. Thanks, <edit>!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Hey All,

Please keep Dealer and Seller names out of this thread. That is what the Review Forums are for. Please keep responses in this thread to how you like to purchase, not who you like to purchase from.

Thanks! :)

The Arachnoboards Team

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Many of my Ts are from the same on line dealer. A good rapport with a dealer, can go a long way. I know that I'll get healthy Ts and the price is at times negotiable. I have also purchased at expos ( I'm with you, Hedorah, at White Plains). Again, the fact that I have purchased from the same dealer there on more than one occasion, a professional trust is built. That's not to say I wouldn't purchase from other dealers...many of whom post on the forums, as well...but I would definately count on reviews/recommendations from other AB members. I have only seen on pet store that carried tarantulas, and I was pleasantly surprised. I live in NYC, so I have to head out to the "burbs" for that. I would deal with a private collector that I have come to "know" through the forums, if the opportunity arose, as most of the members are surely dedicated enthusiasts!

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I made two purchases on line, one came out fantastic, one came out mediocre. I've made dozens of purchases at shows, and all came out fantasic. I like seeing what I'm getting. No miscommunication.

Do you save money at shows by avoiding postage? Not really. Why? When you take into account the money spent on transportation (gasoline), parking, and admission, online buying is about the same.

The last show I attended cost me $15 gasoline, $5 parking, and $8 admission. I bought a pregnant African flat rock for $15. If that was my only purchase (and it wasn't) the cost total was $43. I don't think any online dealer can deliver a gravid flat rock scorpion to your door cheaper.

It becomes a matter of whether you want to get out and browse, see friends, and talk, or stay home. Time, distance, and species availability are other factors. I love going to the shows.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One of the better known online dealers comes to a local show all the time, so I usually pick up T's from him at the show. One of the other dealers I know, who is not yet online is always at the show, so I usually pick up T's from them as well.

Every single one of my spiders except 5 have been purchased at that show, and out of those 5, 2 of those were from one of those dealers at another local show :eek:

chemosh6969

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm a pet store kinda guy. There is one decent store around here that has prices cheaper than online for the most part and they get new stuff in all the time. All the other places have overpriced pet rocks.

Captante

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Overall I've bought more inverts from online dealers then anywhere else, second most from other AB members & third from the same White Plains NY show mentioned earlier.
..pet shops arn't an option here in Connecticut.
I'd likely buy more from shows if there were more shows to choose from within range, but the only other show I'm aware of thats even in my region is over two hours away in New Hampshire.