Plastic or whire?

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, I am constructions some terrariums and I have to make the air lids on the sides (or on the top). I don’t know what material to use for that, I have some nice hard plastic net and some metal net available. The metal net can’t be bite off but its not that nice looking and I am afraid it could rust. The plastic net is much nicer, pretty strong and easier to handle, but I am concerned if a tarantula could bite that off and escape. I never seen them using their fangs to bite something off like rodents, but I am not sure about that…what do you think? Also, how big should the air openings be?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Or use plexiglass, drill holes into it or hotglue metal grating to it.

Captante

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've heard of T's biting through plastic & wire screen both, although I'm sure the wire was window-screen type, not anything very heavy duty... plexiglass is by far the best bet, but given the chioces you offered I'd go with the wire.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I would go with the wire because people have had ts chew through the plastic covers on kritter keepers.

For the wire if you are worried about rust or appearance, at home depot you can get a rubber/plastic paint used to coat the handles of tool. Found in the tool section, or you can get a Rustoleum spray paint from the paint section.