PDA

View Full Version : my new pet and first meal!

dirk14
11-01-2005, 08:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/dirk14/scorp2.jpg
for the kill
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/dirk14/scorp.jpg

still setting up his terrarium thats y he's still there in that small container...
will be transferring him in a while...

stubby8th
11-01-2005, 08:56 PM
That's just not right.

drapion
11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
oh crap here we go again! :wall:

prang11
11-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I second that.

dirk14
11-01-2005, 09:31 PM
:? wats not right? if its the enclosure a already put him in a 20 gal .. tank after his meal.. in a more spacious enviroment..

prang11
11-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Just give it an hour or so.

drapion
11-01-2005, 09:47 PM
no not the cage,the gecko

dirk14
11-01-2005, 09:51 PM
we have alot of gecko's on our ceiling...

Prymal
11-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Dirk-

BL - many people find photographs (movies, etc.) of scorpions feeding on LIVING vertebrate prey repulsive and unsettling - in the proverbial nutshell!

Luc

dirk14
11-01-2005, 10:13 PM
sorry guys...

drapion
11-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I dont mind,but most people do.By the way thats a nice looking Heterometrus spp.Do you know what it is.To me it looks like a H.spinifer

dirk14
11-01-2005, 10:55 PM
supplier told me its spinifer... anyway guys i just tried feeding it if it would accept wen it arrived... sorry if u guys find it repulsive didnt hav an invert in hand i had to make do with a gecko..

Prymal
11-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Dirk-

Don't bother me much as I keep racers (Coluber) and they relish such treats as young birds, lizards, frogs, small snakes, etc. However, if you're going to feed vertebrate prey to your scorps, do it sparingly as in the wild their diet is primarily based upon invertebrate prey, with a vertebrate meal probably being few and far between.

Luc

Hoosier
11-01-2005, 11:30 PM
I feel really bad for the gecko. Just look at its expression and bloody tail as it's about to be consumed by the emp. I guess its the circle of life...

dirk14
11-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Dirk-

Don't bother me much as I keep racers (Coluber) and they relish such treats as young birds, lizards, frogs, small snakes, etc. However, if you're going to feed vertebrate prey to your scorps, do it sparingly as in the wild their diet is primarily based upon invertebrate prey, with a vertebrate meal probably being few and far between.

Luc

thanks for the info...
was wonderin is it ok to feed milk to them instead of water in the cotton ball... i use to do this br to my spiders..

prang11
11-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Scorps + Milk.... errrrr :?

Probably not a good idea :shame:

ScorpDemon
11-02-2005, 01:13 AM
surprising.. very surprising.. in a good way though..
hey dirk, where are you from.. i might be interested in acquiring some of those geckos from your ceiling.. maybe we can cut a deal?

FortCooper1982
11-02-2005, 05:30 AM
It's just the fact there in such a small tub that upset's me a little, kinda makes me think it's for your personal pleasure rarther than the scorp's well being! H Spinifer is a pretty good bet! Did it sting the Gecko? Nice scorp tho, enjoy!

Prymal
11-02-2005, 06:38 AM
Hmmm...

Milk? That's a first!

Luc

Kugellager
11-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Don't use a cotton ball and definitely do not use milk...talk about a perfect breeding ground for bacteria!

John
];')

parabuthus
11-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Milk?!?!?
What a stinking enclosure you would have... :wall:

Poor lizard. I don't like that kind of thing at the best of times, but in that tiny little tub? :eek:

fscorpion
11-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Simply disgusting ....

errit
11-02-2005, 11:19 AM
oh crap here we go again! :wall:
:) it is alway political correct to say this is not right. but it will be an endless discussion wich will remain the same as before it was started.

parabuthus
11-02-2005, 11:20 AM
:) it is alway political correct to say this is not right. but it will be an endless discussion wich will remain the same as before it was started.

Yup... :wall:

Snakecharm
11-02-2005, 01:16 PM
To be fair, I don't think he meant to stir up trouble. While I don't personally care much for the thought of feeding vertebrate prey to my inverts, I think he was probably just using what he had to hand. Still, I would urge in the future to stick with the more natural prey of your pets, as well as being considerate of the fact that a gecko is likely going to suffer more than a cricket.

~Jenn

Thrasher
11-02-2005, 07:38 PM
When i was in Japan, little mice or mouses don't come across my living area, but there were lots of Geakos around my house. I used to feed them to my corn snakes and trantuals, i think it's perfectly fine, it's not like you burn it alive and throw it away....btw, i heard they taste good (my dad told me so) :drool:

TheNothing
11-02-2005, 07:47 PM
in all honesty, i don't see why people think larger scorps (in nature) eat small vertabrates. I mean, look at praying matids eating birds... it most definately CAN happen. Is it necessary? Not in the slightest bit. Remember, in nature it's survival of the fittest, and an 8" scorp will beat out a smaller vertabrate.

That being said, in captivity, i find no reason to feed scorpions any type of vertabrate.

cotton balls: an absolute no-no. as Kugellager pointed out, cotton balls + moisture = bacteria.

milk: is your scorpion a mammal? no. therefore, since it is not a mammal, it has absolutely zero use for milk. (oddly enough just earlier today i read someone asking if milk would be better for their corn snake than water... ONLY MAMMALS HAVE A USE FOR MILK, AND ONLY WHEN YOUNG)

Cheshire
11-02-2005, 09:05 PM
He's a newb...give him a break.

Nice Spinifer.

Can we see pics of the enclosure?

dirk14
11-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Anyway i wanna say sorry for the guys i upset, i fed it wen i got him he is now in his own 20gal tank alone(pics will follow).. i am newbie so be a little forgiving.. thats y iam in this forum to learn... anyway thanks on the cotton advice and milk... ty greatly appreciated..

on where i got the milk idea in our country we r really fond of spider fighting used milk to fatten up my spiders(i was young then).. now i know its not good then i will listen to u guys...

i will always be a newbie...

ty for the warm welcome

Prymal
11-03-2005, 04:04 AM
Dirk-

No problem dude - I was just givin' ya the ol' "heads-up".
Like I stated in a previous message, I keep several racers (nasty, mean-tempered and ferocious beasties - my favorite snakes) and all of mine relish such tender morsels as lizards and chicks. And, I DO occasionally offer my larger scorps an occasional pre-killed mouse, anole or gecko as treats!
Your comment in regards to always being a "newbie" is very cool - my exact sentiments from my own personal perspective - regardless if I'm in this hobby for another 20 years or more, I still like to consider myself a "newbie" as it keeps the mind fresh and ready for new ideas no matter how how far off the heavily beaten track they are! Plus, as long as ya keep learning, you'll never grow mold! LOL
Take care...

Luc

dirk14
11-03-2005, 05:58 AM
@barkscorp take care too thanks for the help....

and enjoy the hobby guys

joe8421
11-03-2005, 01:09 PM
:clap:
he's eating a lizard??? what a big one
bonne appetit

P. Novak
11-03-2005, 03:51 PM
haha dang thats pretty biigg! im loving it!

Scolopendra55
11-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Maby I'm by myself on thinking this but If people dont like seeing things such as this they need to get into another hobby! Sorry to sound kind-o harsh, I just think that it is a natural thing and is just another source of protein. And they are very common so why not use them as a food source?

fscorpion
11-05-2005, 08:47 PM
You know what, I really don't need to see that and I don't think I will change hobby. What kind of statement is that??? If you ever kept lizards you would know how interesting and amazing those creatures can be, they have many pain receptors and they will suffer for hours before dieing and the scorpion won't even eat half of that gecko. Also, they don't need any vertebrate pray to thrive and grow normally, it won't be a treat for the scorpion...so, you can post your opinion, but advising someone to change the hobby is incredible, why don't you change it when you don't know those facts???

Prymal
11-05-2005, 09:53 PM
All-

The rule is in the wild (or, on the streets), if you're too slow, too small or too weak, you're prey, unless you're evolved some keen defenses (venom, fangs, skin excretions, bando, kali, muay thai, etc.)! While I agree 100% that scorpions DO NOT require a vertebrate diet to thrive in captivity (or, in the wild), I seriously doubt that if a lizard or small rodent happens too close to a waiting hungry scorpion in the wild that the scorp would ignore such a feast - these are generalist predators.
As for lizards - I recall my Sudanese plated lizards taking mice and literally ripping them apart - several times I've had to clean viscera from off the lizards and some pretty bloody enclosures! Friends of mine have varanids that are nothing less than savage! Nile's are extremely nasty and have little qualms in ripping ANYTHING that moves into bite-size morsels!
Of course, not everyone approves of herptiles and mammals used for prey and taking this group into consideration, photos of such graphic nature should not be posted openly or a pre-post warning should be posted so that those who find such images disturbing, can choose to ignore the photo and related posts. This way, no one gets offended and everyone is taken into consideration.

Luc

Beardo
11-05-2005, 10:21 PM
I say go get a full grown Tokay Gecko and put it in with your scorpion. ;)

Prymal
11-05-2005, 10:39 PM
David-

Now, that's one savage gecko. A friend has a few and those l&#$%!#@* will not hesitate to bite! They are beautiful but not your average gecko in personality.

Luc