PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of a Praying Mantis

JacenBeers
09-03-2002, 02:29 AM
I have had my praying Mantis for three months now. SHe was a nymph when I got her but she recently had her last molt into adulthood and has beautiful wings. She just layed her eggsac. Does anybody know how much longer she has to live once she has layed her eggs? SHe still has quite an appetite.

johns
09-03-2002, 10:20 AM
Jacen-

Once they deposit an ootheca, their time's very limited (i.e. under four months).

The ooth is infertile as well, I think, unless you forgot to mention the presence of an introduced male.

Wade
09-04-2002, 02:14 PM
She will probably lay more eggs...she may drop between 6 and eight ootheca before it's all over. It's no too late to find a male!

Wade

Tarangela
10-26-2004, 10:34 AM
I hate to bring this thread back to life, but I have some real questions here!!

I captured a female praying mantis the other week, and have been keeping her. She has ate A LOT and before she laid, what I guess is eggs, she was VERY agressive. Spreading wings, and attacking every move I made!! It was unreal! The next morning, there was this brown, hard, gooey cocoon looking thing stuck on the side of the cage (wire). It is about the size of a quarter I guess.

Is that her eggs? Since I got her from the wild, is it fertile? If it is, when will they hatch, what do they look like, etc.?? I have no idea how to take care of baby mantis?! And she has eaten like 5 crickets a night?!

:confused:

Brian S
10-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Sounds like eggs to me. They will hatch in a few weeks if kept warm. If you aren't ready for them to hatch, you can put it in the refrigerator until you are.

Tarangela
10-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Sounds like eggs to me. They will hatch in a few weeks if kept warm. If you aren't ready for them to hatch, you can put it in the refrigerator until you are.

Great :p What do I do w/ a bunch of baby mantis???

Brian S
10-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Great :O What do I do w/ a bunch of baby mantis???
Separate them and feed small pinhead crix and/or fruit flies. Giv them plenty of ventilation. Mist them some too. You don't need any substrate but you will want to have a stick, artificial plant leaf etc for them to climb on. I have kept mantids nearly every summer since 1979. The babys are kinda delicate so expect a few of them to die off.
I got a real good book while back from Swift Inverts. It's called Mantids: Keeping Aliens. It is only $10 and has much useful info.

Look for the threads Carolina Mantid and Chinese Mantid Appreciation Thread. I posted some mantid pics there.

Good luck ;)

Missy Cricket
11-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Hey everyone. I just recently ordered a pretty good book on mantids, but withe the recent passing of my mantis friend, I have found myself in need of more immediate answers.
My Questions:

How long will a mantid live if it does not lay an egg sac (let's just say it was born in captivity and never given the chance to mate)?

Is it possible/likely that the mantid would die immediately after laying the ootheca?

Is there a way to determine the virility of the egg sacs?

Thanks a bunch,
Missy

Wade
11-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Mantids will lay ootheca wether they've mated or not. They won't be fertile if they haven't mated (unless it's B. borealis). I don't think it effects their lifespan either way.

Most species will lay more than one before death, but there may be exceptions. If it was an adult when collected, it may have already laid several before you found it.

I don't know of any way to check the fertility, but if the female was adult when captured there's a good chance any oothec would be fertile.

Wade

Missy Cricket
11-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Thank you so much! I also received some good advice from the folks at InsectAdventures.com, so I think I'm as prepared as possible for whatever may happen with these ootheca.

Thank you again!!

ghost_tomb
11-07-2004, 04:00 PM
i've heard that all mantis egg's are fertile and the babies are clones of the female???

jezzy607
11-07-2004, 06:12 PM
i've heard that all mantis egg's are fertile and the babies are clones of the female???

You were given incorrect info. I have been keeping mantids for a long time, and have had MANY unfertilized oothecae from over a half a dozen species including Sphodromantis lineola, Miomantis paykullii, Parasphendale agrionina, Phyllocrania paradoxa, Tenedora sinensis, Stagmomantis carolina, and Deroplatys desiccata, and not a single unfertilized ootheca has hatched! On the other hand, all of my fertilized oothecae have hatched. Supposedly it happens, but very very very rarely! There are a couple of species that strictly reproduce by parthenogenesis (Brunneria borealis) and have no males.

fuzzy_spider
09-06-2005, 12:51 PM
I am so sorry to ressurect this thread, but I was just curious. I understand that egg sacs of any kind affect the lifespan of the female mantid. However, let's just say - IN GENERAL - What is the lifespan of a male and female mantid?!!!! I just want a rounded number if possible. Thanks all.
:eek:

jezzy607
09-06-2005, 07:00 PM
It has everything to do with what species you have! I am assuming you have a locally caught species (e.g. Mantis religiosa, Tenodera a. sinensis, or Stagmomantis carolina ), if it is any of these, the females will live an average of 3 more months(in captivity) plus or minus a month. The males will live an average of one more month(in captivity) plus or minus 3 weeks.