Help Which Bedding ????

CURLEY

Arachnopeon
:?
Can anyone please advise me on what bedding to use for a red knee & a curly as i have just been given them.
And do they need a special sort of hide or not ??
Thanks for any help.
:D

surena

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Plain peat moss should be fine. Although I use Desert Blend and I haven't had any problems with it.
If you are going to use Desert Blend make sure it is dust free. ;)
As for a hide, it depends on the size of the tarantula you have. I say, if it is over 4" then provided it with one.

tarangela2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
surena said:
Plain peat moss should be fine. Although I use Desert Blend and I haven't had any problems with it.
If you are going to use Desert Blend make sure it is dust free. ;)
As for a hide, it depends on the size of the tarantula you have. I say, if it is over 4" then provided it with one.
:clap: i like the Desert Blend, too (i've also called it Lizard Litter!) it is a nice, clean substrate and shows off the darker Ts nicely. also discourages crix from laying eggs (always a bonus) i have put is over a 'sub' substrate of cactus soil and vermiculite, this holds some moisture and, if you have a burrowing T, they like to dig in it.

Just my 2 cents! :worship:

surena

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
tarangela2 said:
:clap: i like the Desert Blend, too (i've also called it Lizard Litter!) it is a nice, clean substrate and shows off the darker Ts nicely. also discourages crix from laying eggs (always a bonus) i have put is over a 'sub' substrate of cactus soil and vermiculite, this holds some moisture and, if you have a burrowing T, they like to dig in it.

Just my 2 cents! :worship:
:D It does work like cat litter. Makes it very easy to clean, and as you mentioned no stupid pinheads jumping around and stressing the Tarantula. Also no mites problem.A great choice in my opinion for the species that do not require high humidity.

CURLEY

Arachnopeon
Thanks for advice i will try to get hold of some desert blend.
Should i wash it in a container to make sure there is no dust in there ?.
I have just been told the curly is about 9 months & the red knee is about 6 months old.

surena

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
CURLEY said:
Thanks for advice i will try to get hold of some desert blend.
I have just been told the curly is about 9 months & the red knee is about 6 months old.
the box it should say if it is dust free.
If they are about 9 to 6 months, I personally don't think they need any artificial hide-out. They may borrow if given enough substrate and that would be their hide-out.

tarangela2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
CURLEY said:
i have never noticed 'dust'. i find it to be very clean. but you may have a different experience. if you choose to wash it, be sure to dry thoroughly before placing in the Ts enclosure.

i purchased mine at the local petco, about eight bucks for 10 pounds.