mite removal?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
Wade made a very good suggestion, for removing mites. Its for predatory mites. However, in the interim, how else can I remove them? Will a Q-tip work? (keeping away from breathing pores) I'd like to get some cagemates for my AGB, but she has a pretty good colony of light red and whitish teeny "friends". They stay towards her head and upper body.
Thanks...
Peace,
Gillian

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
EEEK! mites are nasty!

Nasty as they may seem, mites are very useful
critters. They keep your millie clean.
I have 4 different millies and one of them
hosts more mites than the rest. You could
use a damp Q-tip to brush some of them off,
but it would be a waste of time because they
will multiply quickly.
Every bit of info that I have read says that the mites will not harm the millie, will not get on you, and can not get on other pets. I have also
read that the mites can not live without the millie. :D

I know.......I read toooooooooo much!:p

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
I am a bit concerned, none the less. I plan on getting an order, from Invertepets, and getting more millies. But, I don't want to make the new millies ill. It does seem that the millies on my AGB are multiplying. I've no desire to make any other of my millies sick.
Thanks..
Peace,
Gillian

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They might be host specific and not transefer to other pedes.

Aside fom the predatories, the best defense is probably to let the cage dry out a bit, at least the surface of the substrate. This will not get rid of mites, but it should at least keep the numbers in check.

Wade

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Wade,
During one of my insomniac patrols, I checked the bedding, at night. No mites. They are just staying on my AGB (Neela). There is a container, right smack dab next door, with Desert Yellows in it. No mites on them. The ones on Neela, have become more numerous. I am considering cleaning her enclosure today, and trying to get some off of her. Perhaps they will then go away.
I know they are probably host specific, and not bad, but they make me nervous. She came, from the petshop, with mites.
Peace,
Gillian