Next Sling help...

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have only been at this a few years and have stuck with the tamer Ts such as B Smithi and Acanthosurria geniculata. I have decided to branch out and am considering the below slings. Any suggestions, rants, hate mail or help would be greatly appreciated. I am also interested in pics of any Aboreal setups.

Thanks, John

Psalmopoeus irminia
Poecilotheria ornata
Poecilotheria formosa
Poecilotheria regalis

Psalmopoeus irminia

Avicularia versicolor

Haplopelma minax

Haplopelma lividum

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got a versicolor sling this week and an adult H. minax. The H. minax is evil, and keeps my heart beating, but hasn't been as much trouble as I was expecting. The versicolor is beautiful and a bit skittish, but was purchased at the request of my 6 year old daughter. (future arachnopeon, I'm sure) The versicolor has yet to eat, but I'm hoping that is just premolt blues.

sandybanjo

Arachnopeon
Second A. versicolor sling

I have my second versi sling. It seemed really unsettled in its deli cup house, so I rehoused it in its new enclosure. I lost a versi sling a while back. This latest one decided to burrow itself in the bottom of the enclosure. Keeping a close eye on it....

It appears, with its dull color, that it may be in pre-molt. My other avic, A. urticans, I rehoused about four days ago. It's eating now and seems happy, in its web at the top of the enclosure. Urbie eating.jpg

My question is: Do the versi's tend to slightly burrow at the bottom of the enclosure before molting? versi burrow.jpg See dark spot in substrate by stick with moss.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Some slings do, I know my tap was fond of holes but my versi never showed any interest in digging but I wouldn't call it super unusual. Keep an eye on it as sometimes aboreals do die on the ground.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well fossorial species aren't bad for their attitude as you can do maintenance without them being out and about. However transfers kinda suck. If you're uneasy about a speedy and defensive T, I'd avoid arboreal a for now as they can go up any surface like lightning. It all depends on you I suppose. Do you like seeing them?

sandybanjo

Arachnopeon
Thanks. OK. I found it in the bushes in the upside down posture and looks like it's molting now. Just keeping the enclosure misted for it.

tweakz

Arachnosquire
Id go with P. irminia. Even though they move like lightning, if you make a mistake and get tagged it's still nothing compared to an OW. Psalmopoeus are like training wheels for OW's.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
My versi is weird... usually eats hours before it molts, makes bad hammocks, only eats from the tongs... But I love it anyway :p Very adventurous little spider always exploring its vial, my bed room and my arms (last two are not ones im paticularlys supportive of). go for the versi. wierd my fisrt one did horrible, me second one is doing amazing!

awiec

Arachnoprince
My versi is weird... usually eats hours before it molts, makes bad hammocks, only eats from the tongs... But I love it anyway :p Very adventurous little spider always exploring its vial, my bed room and my arms (last two are not ones im paticularlys supportive of). go for the versi. wierd my fisrt one did horrible, me second one is doing amazing!
Mine eats and molts in the same spot, it will catch the prey then go to its special spot to eat. Versis are a nice sling to have as they are speedy but usually are not aggressive, then you can graduate to pslamos and taps which will prepare a person for pokies.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you just recently rehoused your a. versicolor it is possible it just chose to molt on substrate. Molting takes a lot out of them. My versicolor prepares its molting hammock a couple of weeks before it molts and some times that is the only clue I get that it is fixing to molt he has on occasion eaten crickets just hours before molting.

tweakz

Arachnosquire
I'd avoid arboreal a for now as they can go up any surface like lightning.
+1 If you are going to get your first OW it shouldn't be an arboreal, especially not an ornata. Before you know it you could have a 10" teleporting spider that's often quick to bite. I know a few years seems like a while but some people take a long time to adjust to OW's and if you're not completely comfortable by then it's gonna be a bad situation.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I have two of the species on your list, Ropes, irminia & regalis. Both are lightning fast, the irminia more so, but as long as you treat them with the respect they deserve, I'd highly recommend both. Both of mine are growing into the striking patterns that both are known for.

sandybanjo

Arachnopeon
If you just recently rehoused your a. versicolor it is possible it just chose to molt on substrate. Molting takes a lot out of them. My versicolor prepares its molting hammock a couple of weeks before it molts and some times that is the only clue I get that it is fixing to molt he has on occasion eaten crickets just hours before molting.
Thanks for the replies.....the little guy seems happy and healthy today. I've never seen it build a web in the deli cup....but he's a-weaving away, now, in its new sling house! I'm really keeping the humidity up for the arboreals.....they seem to flourish with it.