Is this true??

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I heard that, the reason why females eat SOME males, is because they lack protein needed for there eggsac. Now i think that if a female eats a male and what I heard is true. It would be more of the breeders fault right? Or am I wrong about the whole thing. I remember a spider(not a T) that when mating, it flips it rump in the jaws of the female. And while hes getting grubed on, he is also working his magic, so he dies in the mateing process to put more protein in the females body. weird, never heard of a spider that wanted to be eaten.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sort of true. It is an enormous metabolic expenditure for the female to produce an egg sac and successfully incubate it. As such, any and all food eaten contributes to the success of the sac. A male T is obviously a good sized meal (but no different in terms of nutritional value than any other invertebrate prey, just good sized).

A female is more likely to eat the male if she's not fully fattened up, but being so is no guarantee she still won't decide to eat the male, nor is being a tad underweight a guarantee she will try.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
Originally posted by hampton
I remember a spider(not a T) that when mating, it flips it rump in the jaws of the female. And while hes getting grubed on, he is also working his magic, so he dies in the mateing process to put more protein in the females body. weird, never heard of a spider that wanted to be eaten.
sounds like the typical mating of the infamous black widow spider. it is more important that the males offspring survives than the male himself (who would die soon after mating, anyway). allowing the female to eat the male ensures his bloodline makes it into the next generation, provides protein for the eggs to thrive, and, most importantly, allows the male to continue mating while the female is eating.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It also reminds me of the Mantis mating prosses
"Yea honey, that's it, right there.... YEEEEEEEES chow my neck I love it!!! Ye.........."