Thrixopelma cyaneolum (NOT T. cyaneum)

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
I've noticed photos of this spider and dealer price lists that have used the name "Thrixopelma cyaneum". This new species was described by G.E.W. Schmidt along with two other people and some would say that makes the description suspect ;) . Platnick's current catalog lists the species as Thrixopelma cyaneolum. I haven't seen the relevant papers yet, but it appears what happened is that they first described it as T. cyaneum, which is the name you used, but that species names was declared "nomen nudum" as there was no deposit of type material :wall: , and they then redescribed it "properly" and used the name T. cyaneolum. Based on the photos alone (what Gabriel would call "Kodak taxonomy" {D ), it appears to be the spider that we have referred to in the US as Cyclosternum sp. "Cobalt Redrump".

Cheers, Michael

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the clarification Michael. Do you know if there are any in the trade these days? This was my first tarantula and they were a great species. I would like to get more some day.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do you know if there are any in the trade these days? This was my first tarantula and they were a great species. I would like to get more some day.
They're around... but haven't been CB much... never been CB in the U.S. AFAIK.

For some reason I don't think I'll be rushing to change the label on my females enclosure :rolleyes:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
They're around... but haven't been CB much... never been CB in the U.S. AFAIK.

For some reason I don't think I'll be rushing to change the label on my females enclosure :rolleyes:
Yeah, my male went onut on to breed but the attempts weren't successful. It would be nice to see these get established in the trade with a few successful breeding attempts.

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My female C. "Red-rump" has been with me for more than a year, has shed once, and might have eaten six crickets during that time frame. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I would appreciate any husbandry tips.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
GoTerps said:
Me either. According to this post, Cyclosternum sp. "Cobalt Red Rump" appears to be Thrixopelma cyaneolum based on a photograph. I am sorry Michael, but I don't understand the point of this thread.

- Lonnie

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep, Michael!
Exactly as You told.
After being considering "nomen nudun" they're made quick redescription of the taxon status.
Ref.: Schmidt, G. E. W., F. Friebolin & M. Friebolin. (2005b). Ergдnzung zur Erstbeschreibung von Thrixopelma cyaneum sp.n. Tarantulas of the World 110: 3

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
AphonopelmaTX said:
I am sorry Michael, but I don't understand the point
The point was to correct/educate by informing those who are using the name "Thrixopelma cyaneum" that they are incorrect - it is Thrixopelma cyaneolum. Whether it is the same spider as what has been called something else in the pet trade was a tangential point and personally of little interest to me.

I cannot speak for Eric, but I believe that his comment about not being motivated to relabel his spider enclosures is due to the fact that the description was made by Schmidt whose recent descriptions don't last long (e.g., "Haplopelma chrysothrix", "H. vonwirthi" to name only a few).

Cheers, Michael

Last edited:

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just to say they are not even a Thrixoplema species.

I have it on good authority that they are in fact a Hommeoema species (no i am not getting this mixed up with the other Hommeoma species from Peru. the large one).

Ray

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
angelarachnid said:
Just to say they are not even a Thrixoplema species.

I have it on good authority that they are in fact a Hommeoema species (no i am not getting this mixed up with the other Hommeoma species from Peru. the large one).

Ray
Yup Ray plus the ppl who have called them a Hommeoma.sp in Germany for some time have probably both had access to male’s and bovvered to key them out, just ottomh I believe Hommeoma species are not easy to key to genus without having the male to examine to.

The type male of Thrixopelma has a node RL on the palpal tibia and unlike (all i think) Hommeoma male's no digiform node on the palpal bulb, does the T.cyaneolum male share these with T.ockerti or is the placement based on a new combination?.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yup, I'm keeping my labels (and refering to them as) Homeomma sp. "Peru".

... and the other larger one as Homeomma sp. "blue"... although I tend to throw the "large" in on that one as well just so people don't continue to get confused.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Now you know why my Tarantula Bibliography does not include Schmidt's recent work. You think changing cage labels takes time...

Cheers, Michael

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Michael Jacobi said:
Now you know why my Tarantula Bibliography does not include Schmidt's recent work. You think changing cage labels takes time...

Cheers, Michael

I do the same , last time we made some noise in Poland about T cyaneum and Dfasciatus and now :[ ...