Scolopendra subspinipes escape-proofing

TypeO-

Arachnopeon
I've just recently accquired a Scolopendra subspinipes, and within 2 minutes it was looking for ways to escape, it climbed up to the top of the screen lid, trying to use it's fangs to open the meshing, then it decided to take a trip along the top, looking for ways to get out. I'm gussing I've got too much substrate in there with it, it's at about 5-6" in a 10-gallon tank, I'm gonna try moving it down to maybe 2-3", the last thing I need is a bad tempered 'pede wandering around my room :) Any tips on keeping these things in the enclosure would be a great help.

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I give my subspinipes about inch of substrate and gave it a cork and a water bowl. One thing I like about subspinipes, is that they don't burrow at all but mine like the cork that I gave it. Mine is very calm but I'm alway careful when changing the water bowl. I think mine is about to molt, it haven't been that active.
how big is your subspinipes? my sub. is about 7-8 inches.

TypeO-

Arachnopeon
My sub. is about 6-6.5" I haven't been able to get a real accurate measurement, but I assume that's how big it is.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well I suppose keeping the lid allways closed is enough. Maybe lubing the top of the tank with some Vaseline (petroleoum jelly??) would be a good idea but I'm not sure... I guess it wouldn't be really important as the pedes use their back legs to push, they don't "climb"

You could allways put an electric fence around the tank but be carefull for black-outs (remember Jourasic Park?);P

TypeO-

Arachnopeon
I finally got it in the tank, only about 1.5" of substrate in there now, and it can't make the top :) tried to take a bite outta me though, all I have to say is MEAN

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
With most pedes, you will want to keep the substrate minimal if you EVER want to see your pede... S. morsitans, S. subspinipes, S. heros... ALL will burrow heavily if given half a chance and the proper substrate. I've heard stories of people not seeing their morsitans for months because they burrowed away :) IMO, it doesn't "stress out" a pede to not be able to burrow, it's HIDING that is the key thing. THey are used to burrowing to hide, but if you give them cork bark or a pile of forest moss to hide under, they seem to be happy as clams :)