P.miranda care?

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good day all,

I'v recently ordered a P.miranda and previous to this i'v been looking around for care sheets, after looking at http://www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcss.htm i'v decided that you keep pokies pretty much all the same. is there anything i should be doing thats not in a care sheet.

a search for "P.miranda care" doesn't bring up much help.

is it right that the miranda is one of the calmer pokies???

thanks in advance

Camberwell

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Yes, I consider P. miranda one of the, if not the most, calm of the Poecilotheria. Of course, this is a generalization and a specific spider may have a different temperament.

There are many care sheets out there for P. regalis. If you find a good one, its information will apply to P. miranda as well. However, it is not true that ALL Poecs should be kept the same. Montane species (P. subfusca, P. smithi, P. rufilata0 fare better at cooler temperatures and may require a more careful eye on humidity. For P. miranda I recommend a daytime range of 70-80ºF [21-27ºC], a nighttime drop to 65-75ºF [18-24ºC] and relative humidity of 60-70%. Mine are kept to the cooler end of those temperature ranges.

Cheers, Michael

Last edited:

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh excelent thankyou

I actualy have a regalis and he seems to be doing well, so i'll keep it the same as that

Thanks alot

Skuromis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!
Camberwell said:
that looks like a subfusca to me???
No no, thats miranda, but this pics is a little,, hmm how to say, it is not really bad, too dark, too much contrast but the spider looks beautiful ;OD

eman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Camberwell said:
No, that looks right to me. Admittedly, it is neither the greatest specimen nor picture.

I agree with Michael on the temperature/humidity requirements... but in contrast, I would have to say that all my miranda are considerably nervous and spastic (for lack of a better term) - around the same as say, regalis, fasciata and other pokes... The top end of the nervous scale has been formosa and at the lowest end metallica. None the less, as Michael mentioned, the behavioral patterns can vary from specimen to specimen. In any case, I highly doubt you will be disappointed with this species!

Cheers!

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Camberwell said:
That is a particularly dark specimen of P. miranda, and an underexposed image. But there is a bit of a similarity in the abdominal markings of the two species, but otherwise they do not look alike. For example, P. subfusca has whitish chelicerae, which I imagine is where they got the popular name "Ivory Ornamental". The most distinct feature of P. miranda is the completely white patella and the white color of the distal end of the femur and, to a lesser extent, the proximal end of the tibia. In other words, they have the widest white leg band in the genus.

Here is a P. miranda image for you. This shot - and many others - can be found in the Poec photo thread.

The comparative temperament of the Poecs has been covered in several other threads.

Cheers, Michael

MicahHall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I received my P miranda through a mail order last week and although I cant give you any specifics on long term care and the effects not enough or too much humidity, I can say that this little miranda, although calm and mellow when transferring from shipping container to the one I had prepared, has turned into one of my most active. Never in the same spot twice, eats like a maniac, and races up and down is container as soon as someone walks by on the floor ( not the newest of flooring). I do have several other Poecs, and this one, although similar in the way I have kept the others in terms of housing, is very unlike them in terms of personality and activity. This may be because its still settling in, or it just may be another odd pet added to the Hall household, since nothing we have here is normal.

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
excelent guys thanks,

I'll be happy if mine looks like that abit further down the line, as my dream T is the subfusca, imo more beautiful than the metalica.

i'll also be very happy if it looks like this...
http://giantspiders.com/P_miranda.html
or this...
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=623041&postcount=902

or ESPECIALY this...
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=580458&postcount=796

they're just great, my regalis definatly pulled me further into the pokie world

Thanks guys