Gbb In Molt

Blackieb06

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey everyone just wanted to say that i woke up this morning and notice my baby gbb abdomon is black so i was wondering sinch he is in pre molt should i put him in my closeit since its quit and dark in there ??

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
as long as your Chromato. Cyaneo. got the choice to go where theres light and where its dark, theres no problem in my opinion. Just leave it alone as much as possible, make sure its water dish is full (you can also spray on the opposite wall that your tarantula is) and thats it ...

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Blackieb06 said:
hey everyone just wanted to say that i woke up this morning and notice my baby gbb abdomon is black so i was wondering sinch he is in pre molt should i put him in my closeit since its quit and dark in there ??
:clap: Congratulations:clap: on up coming the molt.

To answer your question and then some:
I would just leave it where it is until the molt is over. Disturbances little or big can possibly kill the tarantula. After the molting process is over then be sure it has plenty of moisture so it can replenish fluids lost in the molt. I would also wait 7 days before feeding or until the fangs darken up.

Last edited:

Ronj

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Blackieb06 said:
hey everyone just wanted to say that i woke up this morning and notice my baby gbb abdomen is black so i was wondering sinch he is in pre molt should i put him in my closeit since its quit and dark in there ??
No, why would you? It could be weeks or longer before the molt occurs. I have two Brachypelma smithi that have been black as coal for a couple of weeks now. I stopped feeding them, I increased the humidity slightly, and I make certain there is plenty of water. Other then that, I just leave them alone.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is it refusing food? A darkening abdomen is not as good of a sign of an impending molt as fasting. Many slings have dark abdomens so its often hard to tell. If it has been refusing food for more than at least a week or more and you noticed that it has darkened considerably, a molt may be coming, but it could still be several weeks off depending on the size of the sling. Just leave it be. You don't need to do anything special except not fuss with it and make sure there are no uneaten prey running around in there. If it is in premolt, good luck.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
MindUtopia said:
Is it refusing food? A darkening abdomen is not as good of a sign of an impending molt as fasting.
Fasting isn't very reliable of a sign either, IME. Many tarantulas will go off of feeding for weeks at a time without moulting, then resume eating like monsters.

neilkane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
closet

just leave it you wont be able to view if you put in closet

Blackieb06

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i got it two weeks ago and it hasnt eaten since and it just turn black this morning

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Look for larger shiny dark spot on abdomen, and see if legs get any darker, (hard to tell with GBB slings)

Blackieb06

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ya his legs are darker so i know he is in pre molt just hope everything goes ok