pre-molt anomaly?

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hello. My A.Seemani has just molted with absolute success. However, two days before, it gorged itself with crickets and i had no idea it was about to molt, it just looked like it, thats all. then, last night i took my nighlty look and it was on its side, molting. frankly, i am quite surprised. it was 2.5 inches or so, have no idea of gender or full size now (dont wish to disturb it to remove exuvium) all i know is that it is blue on the front half.

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T's can do odd things, ive had spiderling goliaths and king baboons eat the day before a moult even though they have turned dark! (I remember thinking 'oh the dark spider mustn't be in premout because it just ate'-I was wrong) I thought this would be impossible due to the softened exoskeleton but obviously not.

treeweta.

Wish_mastera

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
treeweta said:
T's can do odd things, ive had spiderling goliaths and king baboons eat the day before a moult even though they have turned dark!
treeweta.
Thats really very strange. Blondis are known with long premolt diets...

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When my seemani was ready the last time she molted she ate like crazy. Maybe her way of sqeezing in the last drop to be able to get out of the molt. But I had gotten to see her for the last part of the molting process. And they are a beautiful blueish color. As they get older the blue fades into like a grayish looking color and darken from that. I believe mine is around 4 or 5 years old. I had gotten it as a gift. She usually hangs out by her water dish. I usually take the molts out as I find them. I don't disturb the T at all. But if the molt is too close I wait until the T is away from it. Some will distroy the molt if left in too long. Maybe thinking it is another T. I have no idea but the more aggressive ones seem to do that more often. I have the sizes of molts from the time I have gotten any of my T's. I find it fasinating to see just how much they have grown and I also keep records on a calender as to when they had molted. Maybe a lot of work, but someday it might come in handy.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wish_mastera said:
Thats really very strange. Blondis are known with long premolt diets...
The younger they are, the shorter the pre-molt fast, IME. I've had an adult T. blondi that went several months without eating before her molt, but spiderlings that sometimes only went a few days or a week.

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was finally able to extract the exuvium, but i wasnt sure about the sex. instead of being unsure of anything, im about 50/50. i need to find an image of a male and female A.Seemani for comparison. then i will know.

Wish_mastera

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
becca81 I was wondering because treweeta sad: ive had spiderling goliaths and king baboons eat the day before a moult. Its not week or two. That's strange for me. When my blondi was spiderling she eats at least two weeks befor molt. But of course it could strange thing happen :)