PDA

View Full Version : Here's my lil' Miss Miranda



petitegreeneyes
03-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Couldn't help but show a picture of my new P.miranda. She is so sweet and such a big eater.

Philth
03-24-2003, 12:57 AM
Good luck with yours, i got mine about 3 weeks ago ang it also eats pretty good. If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for it. Mine was 175. Lets hope for the future of the speices. Keep us updated on it progress.... now where are the P. metallicas?;P

blackacidevil
03-24-2003, 01:58 AM
How big is she (it just feels right to call them she's) .......you've definitely got to get a close up of that one!

NorthwestInverts
03-24-2003, 03:17 AM
a beautiful little PRIZE !!!

Weapon-X
03-24-2003, 04:48 AM
nice very nice PGE, I am incredidably jealous--Jeff

dennis
03-24-2003, 05:13 AM
I still think poekies are scary ... :)

Dennis

Aboreal Rayne
03-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by dennie
I still think poekies are scary ... :)

Dennis

I have two of these cool arse spiders!! You guys have no idea how much these things eat... One of mine (Shreader) eats like 3-4 pinheads a day. dennie, pokes get a bad rep from folks like you, care for them love them and repect them and you might think diffrently. ;)

JacenBeers
03-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Arent they all related to each other? I heard they came from the same eggsac so will breeding even be successful when they mature?

dennis
03-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Aboreal Rayne
dennie, pokes get a bad rep from folks like you, care for them love them and repect them and you might think diffrently. ;)

I don't really think that is true... I don't have anything against Poecilotheria species. They look very cool, and are quite cool to look at too. But I've just read a little too many bite reports, and I guess I also know that I will eventually get bitten by one if I buy one. That's why I don't want a pokie, and I think they are scary :)

Dennis

safetypinup
03-24-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by JacenBeers
Arent they all related to each other? I heard they came from the same eggsac so will breeding even be successful when they mature?

Actually, there were three bloodlines imported, that I know of, and likely more to come in the future. So I doubt inbreeding will be a huge concern once these guys are breedable.

safetypinup
03-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by dennie
But I've just read a little too many bite reports, and I guess I also know that I will eventually get bitten by one if I buy one. That's why I don't want a pokie, and I think they are scary :)

Dennis

What makes you think you'll get bitten? Poecilotheria has gotten an entirely undeserved reputation as of late...While they are capable of delivering a painful (and sometimes potent) bite, they are an incredibly shy genus by nature. If you read those bite reports, you'll notice that most (if not all) times, the keeper has done something to provoke the bite (ie: try to pick one up, etc). These are not "nasty" spiders, and honestly would prefer to run and hide from you than deliver a bite.
I have just about every species of Poec. at home, and I have never been bitten, or even come close. Just treat them with respect, and they'll love you for it :)

Honestly, I am more afraid of being bitten by my Usumbara than any of my Poecs.

petitegreeneyes
03-24-2003, 06:37 PM
Hey Jeff, don't get jealous yet until I show off the metallica that I will be getting:D

Safetypinup is right. There was more than one eggsac that came to the states or is actually still in the process of hatching. I feel any one of our arachnids can and could bite us but I am very careful with my pokes and treat them with respect. My most aggressive acting one is actuallly my Ornata. Believe me when I say I respect her and am extremely careful when messing with her cage. But boy is she pretty. I'll have to try and get a close-up of Miranda real soon.

safetypinup
03-24-2003, 06:47 PM
I somewhat agree...I have a B I G adult female ornata that is as docile as an E. campestratus...But then again, I've had her since she was a small juvenile, so I think she's become accustomed to me. I have seen ornatas that are a little fiesty though...

By the way, here are a couple of closeups of my miranda to tide you over :p

http://www.picipici.com/images/MINATRIX/Pmiranda3@1046215157454_large.jpg

http://www.picipici.com/images/MINATRIX/Pmiranda1@1046215101296_large.jpg

petitegreeneyes
03-24-2003, 11:34 PM
Ah, that first picture is really showing some colors. She is really pretty looking. Here's a couple that I took while Eric had her on his elbow. I got as close as I could get.

petitegreeneyes
03-24-2003, 11:35 PM
Here's a new one of my fiesty Ornata, Isis.

Philth
03-25-2003, 12:41 AM
You have two tarantulas and you started with a P.fasciata and a miranda ?:? Way to jump into the hobby !

Steve Nunn
03-25-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by safetypinup
Actually, there were three bloodlines imported, that I know of, and likely more to come in the future. So I doubt inbreeding will be a huge concern once these guys are breedable.

Hi Flannery,
Frank imported a total of four bloodlines into the Sates. I believe each buyer received a mix of bloodlines. This being the case it would probably pay for any buyer now to ask for a mix of the smallest and the biggest P.miranda a supplier might have, this would give a good chance of getting different bloodlines for breeding.

Cheers,
Steve

invertepet
03-25-2003, 04:29 PM
I'm under the impression that bloodlines are written on the vials. I have a few from bloodline '2'. Here's one:

http://www.invertepet.com/images/miranda_sm.jpg

Steve Nunn
03-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by invertepet
I'm under the impression that bloodlines are written on the vials. I have a few from bloodline '2'. Here's one:


Hi Bill,
I emailed Frank, who told me he had sent a mixture of the bloodlines to a number of suppliers. It's good he labelled the bloodlines though it should help future breeding atempts.

Cheers,
Steve

safetypinup
03-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi Flannery,
Frank imported a total of four bloodlines into the Sates. I believe each buyer received a mix of bloodlines. This being the case it would probably pay for any buyer now to ask for a mix of the smallest and the biggest P.miranda a supplier might have, this would give a good chance of getting different bloodlines for breeding.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve :)
I was unaware that there were four bloodlines imported, as Frank only told us there were three...So who knows :)
I am of the opinion that all of the ones we got were from the same bloodline, as all were pretty much exactly the same size, and all molted within a few weeks of each other. But again, who knows!
I can only hope that with future importations, the bloodline data will be more readily avaiable so as to aid in future captive breeding efforts.

As for your post, Bill.........
None of our mirandas were numbered, so it's anyone's guess which bloodline(s) they are from. In fact, I would be interested to find out if any other dealers besides yourself received numbered shipments...(????)
How big are yours Bill? That pic is great :)

Anyway.......
I could talk about Poecilotheria all day, so I'll stop myself here :D

--Flannery

invertepet
03-25-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi Bill,
I emailed Frank, who told me he had sent a mixture of the bloodlines to a number of suppliers. It's good he labelled the bloodlines though it should help future breeding atempts.

Cheers,
Steve

This time around Frank wasn't the only source -- A recent exotics show in Germany featured them for sale, and more than one US supplier attended that show and came back with them (along with other oddball rare imports).

I do plan on getting some miranda from Frank as well within the next couple of weeks, so we'll see if those are packaged any different.

bill

safetypinup
03-25-2003, 05:39 PM
That would explain it then :)

Did your supplier tell you that the '2' had anything to do with bloodline, or is that just an educated guess?

I'm curious :D

Flannery

invertepet
03-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by safetypinup

As for your post, Bill.........
None of our mirandas were numbered, so it's anyone's guess which bloodline(s) they are from. In fact, I would be interested to find out if any other dealers besides yourself received numbered shipments...(????)
How big are yours Bill? That pic is great :)


Thanks--

The vials these came in were numbered '2' and are all pretty much one solid inch - one is slightly more.

bill

Steve Nunn
03-25-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by invertepet
This time around Frank wasn't the only source -- A recent exotics show in Germany featured them for sale, and more than one US supplier attended that show and came back with them (along with other oddball rare imports).


Frank got his from Henrik, who sold them at the Hamm show. I'd imagine that's where all the suppliers to the US would have got them from, do you know(I'm only assuming here)? It would be interesting to know how many bloodlines Henrik had.

I'd have loved to have been at that show, it sounded damn good ;)

Steve

Aboreal Rayne
03-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Philth
You have two tarantulas and you started with a P.fasciata and a miranda ?:? Way to jump into the hobby !

Accually I have one additional Miranda and I didn't just "Jump In" as it's put. I simply only kept the one that I was most obsessed with, Pokes being my favorite. I used to own a boring rosie and a pink toe as well but gave them away, as a condition of getting new ones. Unlike some of you I don't have whole walls to fill- there fore I choose wich ones I get very wisly. BTW who are you to tell me what to buy? I'v been doin this for years!! LOL- some people...:? :confused:

Mojo Jojo
03-25-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Aboreal Rayne
dennie, pokes get a bad rep from folks like you, care for them love them and repect them and you might think diffrently.

No. They have a bad rep because evidence points to a potent venom that makes people sick when they bite them. I don't care how much of an "expert" some one is, when you take care of spiders, there is a chance that someday you will get bit.

I am a professional driver and have been one for 7 years. I have never been in an accident. There is always the chance that I will get into an accident. If I do, I hope it is with a smaller vehicle than mine. I definately don't want to get hit by a semi.

From reading various bite reports, being bit by a pokie is to being hit by a semi, like being bit by a brachypelma is to being hit by a Geo Metro.


Jon

invertepet
03-25-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Frank got his from Henrik, who sold them at the Hamm show. I'd imagine that's where all the suppliers to the US would have got them from, do you know(I'm only assuming here)? It would be interesting to know how many bloodlines Henrik had.

I'd have loved to have been at that show, it sounded damn good ;)


Yes, I wish I'd have gone, too... Lots of rare stuff including very rare scorps.

About the show - yes, that's where (any) other suppliers got them, I do believe.

bill

Philth
03-25-2003, 09:13 PM
Unlike some of you I don't have whole walls to fill- there fore I choose wich ones I get very wisly. BTW who are you to tell me what to buy?
Dude, I was just kidding;P , relax.
Any way its interesting to read more and more about this speices. I never get bored of it. Whos this guy frank who imported them?

Steve Nunn
03-25-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by invertepet
Yes, I wish I'd have gone, too... Lots of rare stuff including very rare scorps.


I saw some shots from the show, amazing. I saw a shot of a corkbark stand, just corkbark! Apparently it was one of three or four such stands. Can you name any of the unusual stuff in the way of arachnids to come over from the Hamm show (and did you score any of it)?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Nunn
03-25-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Philth
Whos this guy frank who imported them?

Frank is Frank Soma, a US importer of arachnids. He's got a lot of real good connections and comes up with first time imports a lot. I believe a lot of dealers like to buy from Frank because he's reliable and trustworthy and his stock is first rate stuff. I don't think he sells to the general public though (of this I'm not certain though). I tell you, I'd love to see his collection, I'd bet he's got some amazing stuff.

Cheers,
Steve

LD50
03-25-2003, 11:40 PM
Those Are beautiful spiders

MrDeranged
03-25-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Frank is Frank Soma, a US importer of arachnids. He's got a lot of real good connections and comes up with first time imports a lot. I believe a lot of dealers like to buy from Frank because he's reliable and trustworthy and his stock is first rate stuff. I don't think he sells to the general public though (of this I'm not certain though). I tell you, I'd love to see his collection, I'd bet he's got some amazing stuff.

Cheers,
Steve

That's Frank, of course you have to get in touch with him first.... ;) Only wholesale although if you go to the white plains show, you can buy from his partner Tommy Agosta. One of these days I'm gonna go see his collection Steve, I'll be sure to take ALOT of pictures.

On the topic of P. miranda. I had also heard that in the first batch that came over, there were 3 seperate bloodlines. On the other hand, and don't quote me on this, I believe I was told that they were just all mixed together in the shipment with no way to tell which one was from which bloodline. Frank does come on the site occaisionally so hopefully he will chime in.....

Scott

Steve Nunn
03-26-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by mrderanged
Only wholesale although if you go to the white plains show, you can buy from his partner Tommy Agosta. One of these days I'm gonna go see his collection Steve, I'll be sure to take ALOT of pictures.


Hey, Scott, to go there without a camera would incite a riot from those who suffer MSD ;) Although I have heard Frank has some sort of future project in the making regarding display, but I won't say anymore, not my call to.

Steve

invertepet
03-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Steve,

Some of the stuff that came from Hamm include:

Giant Arabian Deathstalker Scorps (Apistobuthus pterygocerus)
Several other rare scorps (including Hottentotta jayakari)
P. subfusca slings
P. rufilata slings
P. miranda (of course) slings
Iridopelma sp. "reecefi" slings
Selenocosmia (formerly Chilocosmia) peerboomi slings
Latrodectus corallinus (Argentine Widow) slings

...and some other stuff I can't recall at the moment.

bill

Steve Nunn
03-26-2003, 12:40 AM
Thanks Bill. One could only wonder what will turn up at next years show.

Steve