Here's my lil' Miss Miranda

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Good luck with yours, i got mine about 3 weeks ago ang it also eats pretty good. If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for it. Mine was 175. Lets hope for the future of the speices. Keep us updated on it progress.... now where are the P. metallicas?;P

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
COOOL!

How big is she (it just feels right to call them she's) .......you've definitely got to get a close up of that one!

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

nice very nice PGE, I am incredidably jealous--Jeff

Aboreal Rayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
I still think poekies are scary ... :)

Dennis
I have two of these cool arse spiders!! You guys have no idea how much these things eat... One of mine (Shreader) eats like 3-4 pinheads a day. dennie, pokes get a bad rep from folks like you, care for them love them and repect them and you might think diffrently. ;)

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Arent they all related to each other? I heard they came from the same eggsac so will breeding even be successful when they mature?

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Aboreal Rayne
dennie, pokes get a bad rep from folks like you, care for them love them and repect them and you might think diffrently. ;)
I don't really think that is true... I don't have anything against Poecilotheria species. They look very cool, and are quite cool to look at too. But I've just read a little too many bite reports, and I guess I also know that I will eventually get bitten by one if I buy one. That's why I don't want a pokie, and I think they are scary :)

Dennis

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
Arent they all related to each other? I heard they came from the same eggsac so will breeding even be successful when they mature?
Actually, there were three bloodlines imported, that I know of, and likely more to come in the future. So I doubt inbreeding will be a huge concern once these guys are breedable.

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
But I've just read a little too many bite reports, and I guess I also know that I will eventually get bitten by one if I buy one. That's why I don't want a pokie, and I think they are scary :)

Dennis
What makes you think you'll get bitten? Poecilotheria has gotten an entirely undeserved reputation as of late...While they are capable of delivering a painful (and sometimes potent) bite, they are an incredibly shy genus by nature. If you read those bite reports, you'll notice that most (if not all) times, the keeper has done something to provoke the bite (ie: try to pick one up, etc). These are not "nasty" spiders, and honestly would prefer to run and hide from you than deliver a bite.
I have just about every species of Poec. at home, and I have never been bitten, or even come close. Just treat them with respect, and they'll love you for it :)

Honestly, I am more afraid of being bitten by my Usumbara than any of my Poecs.

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Jeff, don't get jealous yet until I show off the metallica that I will be getting:D

Safetypinup is right. There was more than one eggsac that came to the states or is actually still in the process of hatching. I feel any one of our arachnids can and could bite us but I am very careful with my pokes and treat them with respect. My most aggressive acting one is actuallly my Ornata. Believe me when I say I respect her and am extremely careful when messing with her cage. But boy is she pretty. I'll have to try and get a close-up of Miranda real soon.

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I somewhat agree...I have a B I G adult female ornata that is as docile as an E. campestratus...But then again, I've had her since she was a small juvenile, so I think she's become accustomed to me. I have seen ornatas that are a little fiesty though...

By the way, here are a couple of closeups of my miranda to tide you over :p

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah, that first picture is really showing some colors. She is really pretty looking. Here's a couple that I took while Eric had her on his elbow. I got as close as I could get.

Attachments

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Hey Aboreal Rayne

You have two tarantulas and you started with a P.fasciata and a miranda ?:? Way to jump into the hobby !

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by safetypinup
Actually, there were three bloodlines imported, that I know of, and likely more to come in the future. So I doubt inbreeding will be a huge concern once these guys are breedable.
Hi Flannery,
Frank imported a total of four bloodlines into the Sates. I believe each buyer received a mix of bloodlines. This being the case it would probably pay for any buyer now to ask for a mix of the smallest and the biggest P.miranda a supplier might have, this would give a good chance of getting different bloodlines for breeding.

Cheers,
Steve

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm under the impression that bloodlines are written on the vials. I have a few from bloodline '2'. Here's one:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
I'm under the impression that bloodlines are written on the vials. I have a few from bloodline '2'. Here's one:
Hi Bill,
I emailed Frank, who told me he had sent a mixture of the bloodlines to a number of suppliers. It's good he labelled the bloodlines though it should help future breeding atempts.

Cheers,
Steve

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi Flannery,
Frank imported a total of four bloodlines into the Sates. I believe each buyer received a mix of bloodlines. This being the case it would probably pay for any buyer now to ask for a mix of the smallest and the biggest P.miranda a supplier might have, this would give a good chance of getting different bloodlines for breeding.

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve :)
I was unaware that there were four bloodlines imported, as Frank only told us there were three...So who knows :)
I am of the opinion that all of the ones we got were from the same bloodline, as all were pretty much exactly the same size, and all molted within a few weeks of each other. But again, who knows!
I can only hope that with future importations, the bloodline data will be more readily avaiable so as to aid in future captive breeding efforts.

As for your post, Bill.........
None of our mirandas were numbered, so it's anyone's guess which bloodline(s) they are from. In fact, I would be interested to find out if any other dealers besides yourself received numbered shipments...(????)
How big are yours Bill? That pic is great :)

Anyway.......
I could talk about Poecilotheria all day, so I'll stop myself here :D

--Flannery