Enclosure too small?

subsniper

Arachnopeon
One of my friends gave me his Scolopendra subspinipes, and I found this sturdy plastic food container with a screw-on lid to put him in. I was wondering if this is too small of an enclosure. Does anyone else house their pedes in large "jars" like this? The reason I chose this enclosure was due to the presence of a secure fitting lid.

The centipede is about 7 inches long.
The jar is about 6.5 inches in diameter and 10 inches tall.

Here are some pictures:

Please visit this link:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=292799

Last edited:

Whitdadie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The photos do not come up on my computer. Is the photo in the correct format?

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I didn't get any pics either, must be something with the format? Anyways, that seems kind of small. I've heard it recomeneded that an enclosure should be about twice the length of the pede. This gives them room to roam about and explore. Your pede can't even stretch out in that container. Even though a screw top is secure, you might want to move him/her to something a bit more roomy, like one of the critter keeper type cages. The lids actually snap into the tank and are fairly secure... or you can do like I did and use an aquarium, and just make a custom lid that is escape proof (so far).

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got 'em. :)

Well, I can definitely understand the benefits of a secure lid but personally, I'd recommend a bit more space.

Atrax

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd definitely get a larger enclosure, not only for the centipedes health, its a lot more enjoyable to see a pede explore a larger area. I'd definitely go for a tank thats at least twice as long as the centipede.

Cheers,

Dan.