What scorpions do well at room temperature?

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm getting ready to order some arachnids in celebration of a new job, and I definitely want some scorps in there but I was hoping to maybe keep this order limited to room temperature animals so that I can minimize my need for heating materials.

What kinds of scorps do well in 70 to 75 degrees? Any?

If not... I guess I'll be getting some heating pads ha ha.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I kept my first Hadrurus Arizonensis at room temp for 7 years before she passed...

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
there are alot of scorps that will be ok at that temp. But the activity in most scorps goes way down with these temps, when compared to specimens kept at 80-90 degrees. But if you dont mind then heres a few that will tollerate these temps.
C.Vittatus
P.Imperator
O.wahlbergei,
and H Arizonensis to name a few.

I would reccommend to try to raise the temps every now and then just to simulate a little bit of diversity in the climate. Scorps sometimes use temps/ hygrometry to trigger different behaviors such as birthing, molting ect...

cheers, steve

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would rather have active scorps with heaters than lethargic ones without them, and if higher temps are what they need to thrive then I'll give it to them.

Thanks for the advice!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
P.imperator fail moults at room temp... (IME)

Opistopthalmus should be kept hot.... and allowed to burrow :S

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hah, I'd be willing to be Euscorpius wouldn't mind it much below room temp at points. But their draw back is they stay small, grow slow, and are only really active if a cricket is chaseing them around the delicup! IME that is....

Mike

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think Ill just set up some heated space for a couple of flat rocks, but I think there is probably some Euscorpius in my future, as I think they are cute :D

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
6String,

Don't be dissuaded against acquiring a few Euscorps. I just acquired a pair of exceptionally large E. italicus from a friend and they're great and not as inactive as many other scorps including some of the "glam" species.
I've also in the past, kept E. hadzii and E. flavicaudis and all of my specimens were moderately active - the hadzii were always active especially the males.
As for scorps at room temps - Diplocentrus species do well at room temps, as do several other US species.
However, it does seem that most scorps do best at temps between 78-85F. Lastly, also remember that scorps are most active during the night when temps are generally much cooler than during the day. At night, all of my scorps including my Androctonus, Hottentotta and Mesobuthus species (some of these were wild-collected from regions that experience harsh seasonal or constant climatic conditions) seem to be the most active in a narrow-range of temps between 72-75F, with 75F being that magical temp when everyone is out-and-about foraging, chasing tail (pun intended) or performing burrow maintenance.
Anyway, if you can find them, acquire a few E. italicus or hadzii. You'll not be disappointed.

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Barkscorp, I will do some research into those species you mentioned.

I love this hobby :D

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
P.imperator fail moults at room temp... (IME)

:S
I have a fat little emp that looks like it's ready to pop. She hardly eats and hadly comes out of her hide. I stop using the heater because summers coming around but lately its been around high 70's in my room. Should i start using the heater again to encorage a molt.

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
abyss_X3 said:
I have a fat little emp that looks like it's ready to pop. She hardly eats and hadly comes out of her hide. I stop using the heater because summers coming around but lately its been around high 70's in my room. Should i start using the heater again to encorage a molt.
Bump her upto 30c :)