Time to find a bigger cage

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've always made a point of keeping my pede in a container taller than it could reach. The 32 oz deli container has worked great...

until tonite.

As I was surfing this site I glanced up over my computer where my CRH lives and saw this for the first time:

EDIT: now the trick is figuring out how to get the thing down :D

Attachments

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
COOOL.......

a nice hard whack oughtta do it;) !

I've always wanted a centipede but my wife thinks they are too sneaky and won't let me have one:( . She's read in some books about keeping them in two terrariums just in case.

I guess showing her this picture of your 'pede wouldn't help.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Now that is just strange. Doesn't even look like it should have been able to reach the top. I think a substrate reduction is in order.

On another note, your best bet for getting it down is to just open the lid and place it (the lid) in an empty container that the pede wont be able to get out of. Reduce the substrate in the pede's container a bit. By this time, the pede should have come off the lid and into the container. Remove the lid and just dump the pede back into it's enclosure. Close the lid.

You could also try blowing on it. In general all I've seen this cause is for the pede to hold on tighter IMO, but your mileage may vary...

There is also as Blackacidevil said "A Nice Hard Whack". I would only use that as a last resort though.

And if your weren't actually asking, but just making a statement about how to get it down, well, Too Bad... ;P

Scott

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
And if your weren't actually asking, but just making a statement about how to get it down, well, Too Bad... ;P
No, wasn't actually asking, I'm usually a clever enough primate to figure something out on my own :) I tried blowing and misting at first but, as you noted and I suspected, it just hung on all the tighter. The solution was so simple I couldn't believe it didn't occur to me first:
I turned the cage almost on its side (the substrate is well packed except where the pede has burrowed) and it simply climbed down on its own.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey! Yuor play warcraft lll? Its a cool game.. And nice pede;P

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
uh? do you have any idea how it got up there? I really can't figure that one out. I never knew they could fly, suddenly i'm a whole lot more scared ;P

cheers,

Dan.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not a clue how it got up there, but clearly it can it can somehow reach the mesh. That or it's a jumping pede when I'm not looking ;)

I'll have to see if repeats the feat.