At wits end!!

Arachnopiliac

Arachnopeon
Good day.

I have a recently purchased Rosie, and it just does not appear to like ANY of the substrate I provide! I've tried the grassy stuff, but I don't like it because I'm afraid it's too harsh on its delicate body. Then there was bark, but I got the same reaction as from the newest potting soil....hanging out at the top corner of its "house"! What am I doing wrong? The soil is made from peat moss and bark.

I REALLY don't want to put it through another change, because I'm sure it's stressed out enough.:wall:

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It can take a few weeks for a T to settle into a new home. Put in a substrate that is appropriate, like dry peat and just leave her alone.

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Waldo is right

Let her get used to the substrate. It may take a while. She will be OK.

Arachnopiliac

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your response. I figured that it will adapt given time.

Yes, I am definitely leaving it alone. I am also waiting until at least this weekend to feed Belleza.

David DeVries

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Potting soil should be fine. It might be more suseptable to molds and such though. Don't keep them on bark. You might try peat moss (maybe with a little sand mixed in). I would not worry to much about it being on the sides or lid. All of my Grammastola and Brachypelma types seem to enjoy "hanging out" on the walls and ceilings at times. I also have observed when you put them in a new enclosure they seem to wander and explore for awhile before picking a few favorite spots. I have a B. smithi that almost never comes down and loves the wall. Anyway, enjoy your spider.

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Shelob12 said:
Potting soil should be fine. It might be more suseptable to molds and such though.
Rosies like it bone dry hence there shouldn't be anything in the enclosure (asides from a water bowl) that would support the growth of mold.

Be patient, it will eventually come down.

JackStraw

Arachnopeon
My rose hair wouldn't come down off the side of the enclosure until I dried out the substrate in the oven. Make sure it's not wet at all.

Arachnopiliac

Arachnopeon
Yes, I am also considering the possibility of it still being relatively humid in his terrarium of sorts. It could also be because, as mentioned above, that Belleza wants to explore. Oh, he loves it when I take him out, and he's especially fond of walking around on my hands. When I put him back in, he usually gets up there and sticks a leg or two over the edge.:}

But, back on topic....thank you all for your input. It is much appreciated.

Shelob...great name! How would you like to have a spider like her?!?:eek:

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mine too, both of them!

JackStraw said:
My rose hair wouldn't come down off the side of the enclosure until I dried out the substrate in the oven. Make sure it's not wet at all.
They alternated between clinging to the walls and standing on top of their flowerpots. It lasted about 2 days for Desi. Asmodeus came down after 1 day to kill a cricket. He hadn't eaten in a while.:) I was glad to see them settle in. I was starting to feel guilty.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most potting soil is moist when purchased, and Rosehairs HATE dampness. When I buy a bag of potting soil, I pour part of the contents into a flat cardboard box, and place it, with no lid, in a room of the house that has no air conditioning, to let the moisture evaporate out.

pitbulllady