my buddy (big pic)

ChoJinn

Arachnopeon
since we've been on the topic of peruvians for a while, i figured i'd post a pick of my robusta, Mr. Centipede. He is the fellow that I foolishly attempted to sell a little while back (i needed money, then i realized i'd much rather have him) THis pic was taken about 6 months ago, and he's molted since then although I havent seen him because he's back at home and I'm here at school (pittsburgh, CMU)

anyhoo enjoy

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
It kills me how many people have Peruvians!!!! Why couldn't I have gotten into pedes when they still were available???:(

Anyways really nice looking pede...I'm VERY jealous:) By the way how long have you had him/her? Oh yes, and if you ever...you know....feel the urge again to sell................:rolleyes:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
What the f***!!!
wooahhh, yeah, now that's a centipede! :D

congrats,... very nice looking gigantea
(but i'm not sure that's a gigantea robusta :? )
my gues, def. a gigantea but not sure about robusta.

and what "AGGRO" posted above counts for me to ;)

Did you ever tried to breed?

"yep i'm also very jealous" :D

greetz

ChoJinn

Arachnopeon
i've had him since....i think it was the summer after freshman year, so that would be 2000

i never tried to breed him/her, and while I think it would be super-sweet to have baby pedes running around I am totally clueless as to how I would go about it.

i'm pretty positive he's a robusta - giganteas have whiter legs, more red in the body and are generally less orange.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I thought that was Scolopendra gigantia also. Although i dont know what a robusta looks like. Her is a pic of my 12incher, sorry AGGRO;P

Attachments

ChoJinn

Arachnopeon
when i first got into the hobby, robusta was a subspecies of gigantea (scolopendra gigantea robusta) - at least that's what Carl Sandefer indicated on his website way back when. pede taxonomy is pretty screwed up, and a couple years ago someone started to claim that the haitian or puerto rican pedes were the "real" giganteas (who ever did that by the way?).

philth yours is definitely a robusta. in fact i haven't seen a true "old school" scolopendra gigantea in a very very long time. Pretty much every so-called-peruvian i have seen has been in fact a robusta. perhaps robusta's have a wider ranger than the true peruvians, like the one in the pic here

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
OMG

Thanks for the info ChoJinn, I feel so stupid now, ive had my tank labeled S. gigantia for years now.:8o Good going, now i want a true gigantia. Is there much of a size differance between the two? The pic you posted is a true gigantia? Do you have one?

Last edited:

ChoJinn

Arachnopeon
from everything i've gathered, the sizes between the two are pretty comparable, even considering the fact that whoever came up with the name "robusta" obviously thought that subspecies was fatter? or chubbier? than a normal gigantea. oddly enough the pictures of true giganteas i've seen are all pretty f***ing fat themselves, moreso than either mine or other robustas. maybe, just maybe we ALL have this situation switched around.

i unfortunately do not own a true gigantea, in fact i sold my other two pedes (subspinipes and a heros castanicepis) and now I just have my big guy. one of these days i'm just going to fly down to S.America, hire some villager and bring back a monster in my carry-on bag on the flight home - i'm totally sick of waiting for someone to come up with a s.viridicornis (doug that lucky bastard :) ), s.galapagoensis, or a trinidad mahogany pede.

btw if I ever do go, i will let you guys know and see if you'll want to hitch along

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
i'm totally sick of waiting for someone to come up with a s.viridicornis (doug that lucky bastard ), s.galapagoensis, or a trinidad mahogany pede.
What are these cenitpedes your talking about please teach me.:D and what is your "big guy"?

ChoJinn

Arachnopeon
well s.galapagoensis is a pede found on not only the galapagos islands but also apparently on the coast of ecuador (that being the only feasible way of getting one back here - taking it from ecuador). they are "supposedly" the largest pede ever - something like 3.5' - something ridiculous. if you do a search for scolopendra galapagoensis you will eventually find a picture of one - jet black with little white rings around its legs--looks beautiful

s.viridicornis is another pseudo-peruvian pede that in my opinion is probably more of a columbian species. doug marou (i think) got one in a shipment of peruvians. it looks just like a robusta except it is brownish-green. same body structure and everything.

then there are the trinidad/venezuelan/wherever mahogany pedes that are reddish brown. i assume that is what this pede is in the picture. i definitely want this pede.

and THEN there are the super-mysterious venezuelan pedes that are jet black with red legs. the guy I bought my robusta from had a picture of one that he owned back in '92 or so. he sold it to the toledo zoo but holy sh** was this thing impressive. HUGE. way over a foot long

and by "big guy" i am just referring to my robusta

cheers

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
OK, now i'm :?
which of these is a robusta and which one is an "old" gigantea
Were can you find a database or something for determination of scolopendra's (i'm started on building a database myself, so,...)

i tought this one was a gigantea robusta:

Attachments

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
and that this one was an gigantea:

please can someone solve this problem??
i would like to make an correct database with all scientific known scolopendra species,... (uhm, uhm, seems to be almost impossible :D )

greetz

Attachments

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, "ChoJinn"
i was confused but now i also think your's a robusta :?
or was it a gigantea g. :? "lol"

anyway, great monster pede!!!!

greetz

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Im so confused.

Chojinn , you say Your big guy is a robusta, and mine is a robusta, but they dont look anything alike?:? Sorry to pick your brian apart, but I still know little about pedes. Thanks for the info though. A 3.5' pede, Holy F@#KING SH*T, i want one......

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
=D I'll take any of them......I don't care what the hell their names are!!!!!=D By the way, not to get tooooo personal, what did you all pay for your big Scolopendra "whatevers"? I'm not really experianced with pedes and don't feel like I can plant a couple hundred on a pede just yet. Since some of the other species mentioned aren't from Peru, are they more readily availible?

Oh yes, and Chojinn, I don't way much and can squeeze into a carryon bag if necessary.:D

ChoJinn

Arachnopeon
i only paid $40 for my peruvian :D but that was back then. i saw another one at the same pet store I got mine go for $100, but at the time it was bigger. shoulda got both of them :mad: