Plated Millipedes

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Does anyone know the species name native to North Georgia and South Tennissee that fluoresques under blacklight? They are both "plated millipedes". One is a larger species and about 3 inches in length, the other I have found is a little over an inch. They are not the same species, though they look very similar under normal lighting. The larger sp has a red coloration on the plate's rear and sides, while the rest is black. The larger ones completely glow blue, but the smaller one's underside and legs do only. The smaller species is near identical to the larger but where the larger is red, the smaller sp. is orange, and the rest is medium to dark brown. I have watched the smaller species breeding but have experienced none by the larger species and have quite a few of them both. They constantly come into the garages during the spring and summertimes.
I'm also looking for a species name for the third milli native to the area. It is not a plated pede and natural coloration is a medium to dark brown. The largest I have seen of this species is a little over 3 inches and extremely thin. They do not fluoresque and appear to be very similar in most aspects to A. gigas.

tia!
adios,
edw. =D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The plated pedes are likley in the family Polydesmida, possibly in the genus Sigmoria, at least many Sigmoria have coloration like you described. We have them in Virgnia.

The other, larger pede could be Narceus americanus, as they do look like smaller versions of the African giants. These are common in the sourtheast, we also have them in VA.

Wade

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Indeed, I just went by Swift's and he's got some of the larger species that I had mentioned glow completely under blacklight. Awesome species too!

Thanks,
edw.