Thinkin of getting some pedes...

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well to be honest i've always liked the colors of pedes and stuff but i thought best to stay with scorps and T's...but i'm feeling kind of bold today....any idea on what type of pede i should get??? i'm thinking of a display one.

Risto

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Malaysian Cherry Reds (Scolopendra sp. ex.) are stunning, but a good all-around centipede would have to be Scolopendra subspinipes (orange legged morph from China and SE Asia). They get *huge* (13"+) and very wide-bodied. Other than Peruvian S. g. robusta and S. gigantea which are currently very tough to find, this is very likely the largest and most bulky pede on the market.

I like them because their leg coloration can vary from 'Halloween' morps (bright orange with darker or even blackish tips) to the more yellowish Vietnamese variety. It can be tough to distinguish between S. s. dehaani (also orange legged but perhaps a bit smaller and lighter-bodied) and regular S. subspinipes...

Hands-down the most amazing centipede I have ever seen in terms of sheer color are the Malaysian Jewels that have been circulating from time to time. Mind-blowing colors (black with a hint of green body, mid-body legs are bright red with the front and back legs a bright sky-blue). I posted a pic a few days ago to this very forum.

If you can find them. S. heros sp. can be nice. There's the more common but very impressive S. h. castaneiceps and the more rare arizonensis. Either one is a hardy and large-growing centipede with great color.

bill

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah the malaysian cherry reds looks really cool...if you have any of those i'll more than likely order one from you. The red is really stunning and looks really bright.

Risto

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Getting back into pedes myself

Static 69,
Yeah, I had about a dozen big Scolpendra subspinipes and they are a blast.They are large and have a wide variation in coloration ranging from orangey to deep red to almost black at times...they are very aggressive and voracious and if you get bit by one you will no doubt be screaming your head off in an Emergency room - heh heh heh.....I had them for about a year and then I backed out of the hobby for awhile when I came to my senses and now I am poised at the precipice again because I have developed a gnawing urge to have another one...they ARE cool as hell though..you aint seen nothing till you have seen a big Viet take down a mouse...the mice just scream their bloody heads off - understandably so if you could see the fangs on a big Scolopendra.It is quite heinous.

I would like a big S.heros this time around I think.I am sort of used to the Viets and would like something a tad different.I want a pede I can cuddle and get to know...hehehheheheh I am just joking!!!

;) The Evil Spider Hunter