Millis reaction with high temps..?

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, I wanted to know if it could harm a milli (for now I'm talking about AGBs, but I would like to know about most millis) if high heat could kill them or hurt..

It may be rare, but this summer it is possible to get temps as high as 90F for 1-2 or 3 days in a row... would a bunch of AGBs (not directly at the light, they would be in the shadow) be okay or would it be more careful to put them in the basement where the temps are good in summer..?

And is the 85F temp limit good for AGBs or is it higher?

My main problems with the AGBs for now are the temps, on summer they can vary greatly.. in winter they'll be okay but not in summer as my room gets very hot sometimes (and it won't be good for their vedgetables and fruits :))

Thanks, Frank

cerda17

Arachnopeon
I agree with you. In the summer, I remember the tarantula tank in my room got to 90+ degrees. My milli tank is in the same area. As of right now, it is 74 degrees without a heatpad or anything. I just plan on moving mine to the basement come summer so that they stay cool.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by FrankQC
Hi, I wanted to know if it could harm a milli (for now I'm talking about AGBs, but I would like to know about most millis) if high heat could kill them or hurt..

High temperatures can kill a millipede. The temperature inside a container can be different than temperature outside a container, especially if it sits in the sun all day. That's a sure way to kill everything in the container. If it's out of the sunlight or in limited sunlight, that's different.

It may be rare, but this summer it is possible to get temps as high as 90F for 1-2 or 3 days in a row... would a bunch of AGBs (not directly at the light, they would be in the shadow) be okay or would it be more careful to put them in the basement where the temps are good in summer..?

Currently in western Africa, temps are ranging from low 70's to the low 90's. It's thunderstorming roughly 7 out of 10 days. Humidities are ranging from 50% during the hot day to 100% in the warm overnights.

And is the 85F temp limit good for AGBs or is it higher?

In nature their temps fluctuate, cooler in the evening and hotter during the day.

My main problems with the AGBs for now are the temps, on summer they can vary greatly.. in winter they'll be okay but not in summer as my room gets very hot sometimes (and it won't be good for their vedgetables and fruits :))

The agbs I keep enjoy eating both fresh and rotten fruit, sometimes even choosing the rotten over the fresh. Not the nicest smell though! :rolleyes:

If you're worried about them, move them to the basement. As long as they have water, food and dirt to burrow in and bury themselves in, they should do fine in high temps as long as it's not a constant state.

Alot has to do with where they come from. If they were collected in Kenya, the weather there is different, not as hot during the day (mid-70s), cooler at night (upper 50s), and constant thunderstorms. Humidity ranges from 70%-85%.

If collected in Tanzania, they are used to lower 70s at night and upper 80s during the day. Of course during the day they are more than likely buried down in the forest floor leaf litter or dug down into the ground. There it's mostly thunderstorming and sometimes thundershowering, 7 out of 10 days. The humidity ranges 60%-85%.

Hope this gives you an idea of what they may have been experiencing before exportation.

Take care,

Paul

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, thanks for those informations, I asked if it was possible to get the place where they got exported from, but I doubt it'll be possible to have the place..

Frank

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
My millies are at around 72F right now.
We use an air conditioner all summer, I should be ok as far as temp.
Frank, If you can use the basement, do so. It will be easier to
keep the temps under 90F.