egytian centipede?

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello everyone,

I recently got my first centipede, It was sold to me as a 'egyptian centipede? does anyone know what species this might be? or scientific name?

At the moment he is about 2 & 1/2 inch long and a dark colour, Ill try to post a pic if i get the chance.

He hasnt eaten yet - he seemed to run away from the food (crickets) I placed in his tank, maybe he was stressed from moving to a new home.

Any information on this species or links would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Stu.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, if it's a 'egyptian centipede it's probarly a Scolopendra Cingulata, i guess, but it's hard to see without any picture :?

greetz
Steven

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if it is one.........I dont want to make you feel bad, but you probably wont see your centipede again. She'll stay underground 24/7. Crickets will disapear though, but you'll fell like keeping a pile of soil.......

Thats my Experience of the species........ But it might just be the one I caught.....

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
genious, I guess your right, I have hardly seen him since I brought him home.

What worries me is the crickets i put in the tank are still jumping around, I put a bit of food at one end for the criks so they seem happy enough.

How often do these things eat? I was told feed em at least once a week like T's?

Should I just leave the crickets in there and let him eat them when he wants or remove them and then put some back in a few days later?

From what I have read most centi's seem to be secretive and burrow?

I welcome any advice on the above questions,

Thanks,

Stu.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How often do these things eat? I was told feed em at least once a week like T's?

Yap, thats what i've heard. You mustnt overfeed them BTW. They'll eat to death.

Should I just leave the crickets in there and let him eat them when he wants or remove them and then put some back in a few days later?

Refresh them I'd say.

I guess

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by genious_gr

Yap, thats what i've heard. You mustnt overfeed them BTW. They'll eat to death.

Refresh them I'd say.

I guess
I can say with certainty that centipedes, while they do have the "mean and nasty" reputation, do NOT ALWAYS eat everything you throw at them... I have a S.s. de haani that has refused food ever since eating a pinkie mouse 5 days ago... I feel that it is only the plings (pedelings) that you must worry about... they will definitely eat more than they can handle.... but you don't have to worry about adult pedes any more than you have to worry about adult Ts, IMO.

Also, the secretive and burrowing part totally depends on your setup... if you give them a hide, they tend not to burrow, but use the hide instead. If you keep them on plain substrate with no cover, they will burrow. Of course, I have 3 s.h. castaneiceps that act 3 different ways... it depends a lot on the personality of the individual.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cheers for the replies people :)

Well my pede seems to have settled in at last, the 2 criks I put in the other night went the next day and I have seen him walking around a few times in the last coupla days. he also ate the crik I put in today, pretty much straight away.

He has a hide in his setup (a curved peice of cork) a shallow water dish, a false plant and maybe 1 1/2 inch of substrate.

Hopefully he was just shy and worried after being set loose in his new setup - im glad he's eating now though - those things are cool to watch when they eat :)

well hopefully all will be well with him - i look forward to him growing. Soon as I get a pic ill post it as i still need a positive id on him,

cheers,

Stu.