I got my 8 AGBs!

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello everyone!

I got my 8 big AGBs yesterday! They are big, they are ranging from 6 to 8 inches! For now the ones I handled seems to be females :)

Here is my printroom photo album (11 pics for now)
http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=GoDFranK&album_id=140078

I have some questions, they all have mites, red ones, looks like beneficial ones :) I wanted to know if any pest mites can be red looking, like small spiders by exemple? Will the babies have mites too, because I know that beneficial mites does not move to another millis? And will mites go on me when I'll handle the millis?

Almost all millis have incomplete legs, is it due to leg rot?

If my substrate, peat moss, is not misted completly (some spots only) (I mist the big spagnum moss "ball", which some millis hides and seems to eat it) will the eggs still hatch?

I took a millis to hold it this afternoon, when helding I saw that it droped some water-looking liquid that was clear on the substrate, prior to being taken, and on a kleenex it was clean too, was it the hydrogen cyanide? And yesterday when moving them to their new home, one had a green liquid that looked like gel (it wasnt moving, the liquid was standing still) and on a kleenex it came brown, was it the cyanide? Where is the cyanide coming from, the mouth?

Thanks for the answers :) Frank

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Frank, you ask a lot of questions for a guy from Canada, aye?

Originally posted by FrankQC
Hello everyone!

I got my 8 big AGBs yesterday! They are big, they are ranging from 6 to 8 inches! For now the ones I handled seems to be females :)

NOT TOO UNCOMMON TO HAVE JUST FEMALES.

Here is my printroom photo album (11 pics for now)
http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=GoDFranK&album_id=140078

NICE PHOTOS, BE CAREFUL, ONE IS ESCAPING!

I have some questions, they all have mites, red ones, looks like beneficial ones :) I wanted to know if any pest mites can be red looking, like small spiders by exemple? Will the babies have mites too, because I know that beneficial mites does not move to another millis? And will mites go on me when I'll handle the millis?

NO

Almost all millis have incomplete legs, is it due to leg rot?

NO

If my substrate, peat moss, is not misted completly (some spots only) (I mist the big spagnum moss "ball", which some millis hides and seems to eat it) will the eggs still hatch?

YES

I took a millis to hold it this afternoon, when helding I saw that it droped some water-looking liquid that was clear on the substrate, prior to being taken, and on a kleenex it was clean too, was it the hydrogen cyanide? And yesterday when moving them to their new home, one had a green liquid that looked like gel (it wasnt moving, the liquid was standing still) and on a kleenex it came brown, was it the cyanide? Where is the cyanide coming from, the mouth?

NO, FROM LATERAL PORES. ITS NOT BROWN, BUT WHEN IT BURNS YOUR SKIN, YOUR TISSUE TURNS REDDISH BROWN.

Thanks for the answers :) Frank

Last edited:

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hehe thanks for answering, but I spammed Darrin of questions way more on yahoo's millipedes forum a month ago ;)

Do you know what color is the hydrogen cyanide?

What can be the source of the incomplete legs?

I saw 3-4 millis moving their legs to touch their body because there were mites at those places.. can they do that even for good mites?

For that question, is the no for the 2 questions? "I wanted to know if any pest mites can be red looking, like small spiders by exemple? Will the babies have mites too, because I know that beneficial mites does not move to another millis? And will mites go on me when I'll handle the millis?"

I changed the setup of my rubbermaid this afternoon, its way better in more ways :)

Thanks, Frank

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Frank,

Originally posted by FrankQC
Hehe thanks for answering, but I spammed Darrin of questions way more on yahoo's millipedes forum a month ago ;)

Do you know what color is the hydrogen cyanide?

Clear, unless its mixed with their poop, then its brown.

What can be the source of the incomplete legs?
injury
I saw 3-4 millis moving their legs to touch their body because there were mites at those places.. can they do that even for good mites?
Its just a hypothesis that the mites are commensalistic, not proven. Some think the mites are parasitic.

For that question, is the no for the 2 questions? "I wanted to know if any pest mites can be red looking, like small spiders by exemple? Will the babies have mites too, because I know that beneficial mites does not move to another millis? And will mites go on me when I'll handle the millis?"

Yes, the mites can be red, and jump from one millipede to another. I have NEVER had the mites get on me when handling the pedes.

I changed the setup of my rubbermaid this afternoon, its way better in more ways :)

I thought it was pretty good! What did you do to change it?

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the answers :)

For the tank being changed, I removed some substrate, a few inches at the highest point, because it was too high and millis could go out if the lid wasnt out, and I could injure them when I would close/open the lid because they could be on its way. I removed one big branch and kept only one, moved the water bowl.. looks like that's everything being changed :)

Frank