Psalmopoeus irminia question

suntiger1986

Arachnopeon
how long untill my immature suntiger starts to act more like an arboreal? right now it is in a 6-7 inch diameter round deli cup, i would like to put her in a 2 1/2 gallon so she could climb but i am afriad of her escaping. she is utilizing her cork bark hide very well right now, i would just like some comments on how others have kept these as immatures. also she seems to be rather "nice" so far and has not tried to bite, when will she develop the p. irminia attitude?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
how big is it now?id keep it in the deli cup until round the 2"mark and then u could try a larger jar.i use the sterilite ones u can get from walmart.as an adult the largest ones work ok.also i wouldnt recomend handling your spider as these guys can be very skittish and fast

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I received mine at just under 2" in August. I housed him/her in a 5"x5"x8" acrylic box from a craft store... set it up with fake plants as a little arboreal enclosure, and the little guy promptly settled under the bottom leaf and webbed dirt up into a little burrow. It molted in October inside the burrow and continued living that way until about a week ago. I noticed it webbing quite a bit up in the "trees," then it molted on Friday. Since then, it's been spending most of its time in the web. I'm not sure if that's because the burrow is too small for it or because it's finally decided to be arboreal. Not sure if that gives you a clue or not, but it's my experience. The freshly-molted critter is about 3" LS now.

As for the attitude and escape attempts, I've seen absolutely none of either. When disturbed, he/she runs back toward the burrow/bottom of the web. It might be a good idea to transfer yours now to a taller enclosure, giving it an opportunity to make a burrow to retreat to at the bottom. That way, it's instinct would be to run back home (down and away from escape) when disturbed.

My enclosure...

The burrow is beneath the moss, underneath the lowest leaf in the back.

Edit: I'll try to get some pictures of the new web tonight and post them.

suntiger1986

Arachnopeon
its about 1 inch body size i could just use a glass jar i guess. ill probably keep him in the deli for a while longer he has taken to his hide well and eats good. i dont plan on handling the wife is scared to death wouldnt want em gettin out.

suntiger1986

Arachnopeon
that is an awesome cage what craftstore did you get it at, how much was it, and how did you get the holes in there. mine already does the run for the hide thing when he gets spooked but i would love to get her set up in a cage like that

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got mine at around 1.5" LS and so far mine has been like Amanda's. It's been in a 4 x 4 x 7" acrylic display cube since the day I got it. Its webbed a grotto along the bottom of the substrate and up one corner under the cork bark, all of which was covered over with substrate.

So far it's molted 4x since I got it in June and still seems content in its retreat, although I can tell its getting cramped in there when it brings food down the hatch with it.

Like Amanda's mine'll perch at the top opening but at the slightest movement it sees, instantaneously down it'll go. So far I've not noticed any aggressiveness nor willingness to escape.

But its been a very very fast killer. It'll sense movement through the walls of the retreat and attack, then come out and grab it and drag it back in.

Pic of mine's retreat:

I just want to see more of it without all the sonic speed hiding, its starting to get the "swooshes" on the legs. =/

Mr_Baker4420

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a 5" female p.irminia in a two foot tall enclosure. if i take her out, she tries her best to run back into it. i've had her for about a year now, and i've only handled her a couple of times. overall, she seem to be fairly docile.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got the box at Rag Shop, I think, but I know they also have them at Michaels and Crafts n' Stuff. They're pretty easy to find. They had several sizes, all under $5. I drilled the holes myself with a dremel.

This is my first arboreal T, and I've noticed that it's actually less sensetive to tank movement than my terrestrials. By tank movement, I mean actually picking up the box and moving it around. I don't know if that's just the personality of this spider, or if arboreals are generally less sensetive because they might experience wind and branch movement in the wild.

Here are the new pics, as promised...