Urticating hairs and asthma?

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have an a. genic and my gf has asthma. I always tell her if she wants to look at it she has to stand 5 feet back. Would these hairs effect her more if they contacted her skin? Or would she have to breathe some?

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't suffer from this condition so I can't speak from experience but I wouldn't take the little guy out when she's near by just to be safe. Those hairs can cause alot of damage if taken into the lungs so I could only imagine the problems somebody with this condition could suffer.

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree but I think there has been a thread before on this but I am not shure.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not unless she breathes through her skin, though I imagine it'd still itch as badly as it would for anyone else.
i agree...i dont think it would have any more effect on her than anyone else. after all...urticating hairs are not like pet dander or anything...so i would say she would be fine.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't suffer from this condition so I can't speak from experience but I wouldn't take the little guy out when she's near by just to be safe. Those hairs can cause alot of damage if taken into the lungs so I could only imagine the problems somebody with this condition could suffer.
Yeah, i never take it out haha. Thanks for the replies...

Jaygnar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think that your GF is at risk any more than anyone else from the Urtricating hairs as far as skin contact goes. Now as far ar inhaling the "hairs" ( they're not realy hairs) any foreign substance entering the lungs may cause an allergic reaction. I don't have asthma so I don't know what the odds are of an attack resulting from inhaling the hairs but I think a dust mask would be in order just to play it safe.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think that your GF is at risk any more than anyone else from the Urtricating hairs as far as skin contact goes. Now as far ar inhaling the "hairs" ( they're not realy hairs) any foreign substance entering the lungs may cause an allergic reaction. I don't have asthma so I don't know what the odds are of an attack resulting from inhaling the hairs but I think a dust mask would be in order just to play it safe.
that's not really true. only certain things *can* be allergenic.

i think the problem is anytime there is any sort of a reaction people assume it is an allergic reaction. very much not so. an allergic reaction is a very specific thing in the medical world.