Need care info for millipedes ASAP

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I received some millipedes sooner than expected so I have not had time to find care info. They arrived today and I have not been able to find anything. They are 7 white and red arboreals and one brown. I'm not sure if the brown is arboreal also. They all come from Purto Rico. I keep only t's normally so any suggestions would be appreciated. I put them all in a 65 gallon Reptarium with several live plants but have no idea what to feed them or any other care info. Thanks in advance.

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They eat most kinds of fruit. As substrate, use 2 inches of moist putting soil and 3 inches of peat moss. Mix it with oakleaves. They will probably eat your live plants so be careful and don't use any poisenes plants.

good luck

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not familliar with the species, but I'd probably go with the type of substrate Aftershock described.

A 65 gallon reptarium is probably waaay over doing it. Something much smaller would probably suffice.

Wade

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
millies will eat ANYTHING green, I'd remove the plants, before they do. Some of them could be toxic to millies.

They will eat just about everything fruit or vegetable. I have
given my millies most things. Apples, lettuce (romain) potato
carrot.. Basically anything in the fridge that you would put in a
salad. Do not give them any meat.
Make sure you give them a water dish, some like to drink a lot of
water.

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys I'll try to see if they will eat the things you suggested. I have all of them together and if you still thing a 65 is too big I have another 38 gallon I can put them in. By the way the plants are my Ficus that I also use for my chameleons.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by esmoot
Thanks guys I'll try to see if they will eat the things you suggested. I have all of them together and if you still thing a 65 is too big I have another 38 gallon I can put them in. By the way the plants are my Ficus that I also use for my chameleons.
Besides fruits and veggies, millipede will eat dry food really well, like flaked goldfish food and cricket chow.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by sunnymarcie
millies will eat ANYTHING green, I'd remove the plants, before they do. Some of them could be toxic to millies.

They will eat just about everything fruit or vegetable. I have
given my millies most things. Apples, lettuce (romain) potato
carrot.. Basically anything in the fridge that you would put in a
salad. Do not give them any meat.
Make sure you give them a water dish, some like to drink a lot of
water.
A guy claimed he saw his AGB millipedes eating a dead toad, which would make them scavengers, as well as detritus feeders. Have you had a bad experience feeding millipedes meat? Very curious, because I've never tried it, but was thinking about it to see what happens.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I have not tried to give them meat. Everything I have read says
not to.
From "The Guide to Owning Millipedes and Centipedes"
By: Jerry G. Walls~

(page 30)
Occasionally they take living plants such as potatoes, and
some will feed on dead insects................:eek:

That is the ONLY reference to any type of meat that I have seen.

I wonder if they could eat it without any ill affects:confused:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think millis are usually described as being "detritus feeders". They eat just about anything they find, which will occasionally include some animal protien. I think this type of food should be offered very sparingly, if at all, because leftovers are very attarctive to pests such as mites and flies.

Wade

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I think one of the best things for them to eat are oak tree leaves and debris like fallen branches, even acorns. About any other deciduous tree leaves will work. It is true that millipedes eat pretty much anything, including the peat that is likely to make-up most of your substrate. Be sure if feeding things like dog food not to give too much or let it sit in the cage uneaten. These meaty foods are also loved by the bad mites, and if not careful you could have a big problem. I hardly ever feed them this, and I take it out about 24 hours later. As for the size container, unless you have something like 100+ you shouldn't need more than a 10 gallon tank. I've found that those big Tupperware type tubs make the best homes for them myself as it keeps the humidity levels up where they are comfortable, and it also helps keep their substrate "going". i.e. beneficial bacteria's, fungi, mites, and most important, your millipedes. You can find these type containers that are almost as clear as glass, and it weighs less making it easier to move and maintain