How do you create dividers for a 10 gallon tank?

Binky/Carol

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two 10 gallon tanks and would like to divide them in half.
I have two very good screens, and know that whatever I use will have to be able to keep a T from going over the top of the divider and around an edge..
But what materials are people using and where is the best place to find them?

I am thinking of a Apholenpma (spelling not right) adult on one side, a G. rosea on the other..
And a B. Vagans on one side and a Curly hair on the other side.
Each in a 5 gallon section of the 10 gallon tanks..

I will eventually have to change it for a Chaco golden knee. when it gets bigger.. AND a B. smithi.. BUT the smithi is quite a ways from that size...

Ideas, Suggestions..
I have the adult Apholenpelma (spelling?) in a herp ranch long/wide KK now. And the G. Rosea in a long/wide Glad ware container...
My b. vagans and curly hair are in big enough containers, but I want to be ready for when they outgrow them.

Thanks
Carol

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My first suggestion is don't do it. No matter how hard you try to keep them apart it only takes once for them to get together and you will no longer have two tarantulas. You will have one fat tarantula.
That being said, I assume the best way would be to cut a piece of plexiglass to fit and hot glue it in place. Then make sure your divider comes completely to the top and a T can't squeeze over it.
In all honesty, I still wouldn't do it though.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I tried it yesterday with a board cut to fit. It worked except there was a half an inch at the top of the tank between the screen and the lip of the tank. I decided that it was best not to risk it so i removed it. If any one comes up with a fool proof way LMN so i can try it out.

The Shadow

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first suggestion is you can do it. If you do it right, it'll be fine.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't use wood for anything and don't use a screen top. You need to use aquarium cement and plexiglass for the dividers and the lid. It can be done with some time and effort. If it's done right, you'll have no worrys. I'm planning on doing it for a 20 gal long for a parahybana and something else, not sure yet.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I divided a 20 gallon long with a sliding screen into 3 sections. I took the tank into a glass shop and told them I needed dividers to come as close to the sliding screen w/o interferring with it's closure. $7 later I had 2 dividers which I then siliconed into place. Haven't had a single problem.

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Too Funny But Still Sad

I have read atleast 5 posts about people too cheap to buy another tank. and their tarantulas payed for it. Dont do it. Splurge ...Spend 15 bucks and buy another 10gal tank that way u dont have any problems

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it's done correctly and used only for terrestrials and burrowers you will be ok. You just need to remember that you will be opening the screen for 2 tarantulas not just 1.

Staley it's not always a matter of being cheap like you stated. Some people unfortunately don't have the space for multiple tanks. Ten gallon tanks for one spider is overkill for most species.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can always hinge it from the back and have multiple plexiglass lids that can be opened one at a time.

Last edited:

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it's done correctly and used only for terrestrials and burrowers you will be ok. You just need to remember that you will be opening the screen for 2 tarantulas not just 1.

Staley it's not always a matter of being cheap like you stated. Some people unfortunately don't have the space for multiple tanks. Ten gallon tanks for one spider is overkill for most species.
Thats true but really how much space do u need? i mean Most people just want to save a few bucks and try to get more out of less. All i am saying is Do a Search for Divided cages or Split tanks. You will See exactly why i am telling you its a bad idea.

Scarp172

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with Pyst- Glass is great but plexi works if you can't get glass. Doesn't have to be real thick either. I also have been using split tanks for most of my terrestrials and have had no problems. Just make sure everything fits right. And siliconing the divider in place is the way to go- easier to remove than the hot glue IME if you feel the need to remove it later (aka, if one of your little fellas isn't so little anymore). If you're worried about a gap between the top of your screen top and the divider you can cut weatherstripping to fit in the gap and then put a brick on top of the lid over the divider.

If you use heat lamps tin foil works well too. Thats what I use for my split scorp tanks. Again- i've had no problems at all. Good luck and I hope this thread provides you with useful information instead of just another thread of arguments.{D

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Thats true but really how much space do u need? i mean Most people just want to save a few bucks and try to get more out of less. All i am saying is Do a Search for Divided cages or Split tanks. You will See exactly why i am telling you its a bad idea.
Look, it is as safe as you want to make it. Period. It is a very good idea in terms of space AND can make for a very very nice contrasting display.

I simply have 1/8" Glass panes cut at the hardware store and use Aquarium silicone (pet store only) to fix them in place. The divider comes up above the ledge where the normal lid sits ( I filed a slot into the ledge so the divider could do this ). Then I made plastic lids for each chamber. it is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT safe and escape proof.
Please note this (for the naysayers) Nothing you do can account for human error.
I am too lazy today to go and take pics once more of what I did, but rest assured it is simple, easy, and safe......
Again searching will only bring up a multitude of failures because of poorly implemented ideas. This method works great.
Tony

If this carries on a bit I will probably have to post up pics again.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tip: If you save the top trim piece from a broken aquarium, if trimed right will match the existing tank trim when fitted over a plexi-glass divider.
PLexi glass peices cut to fit in aquarium top trim piece can be cut, drilled as required for ventilation and humidity needs.
On top of all this a welded metal mesh screen lid.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Photos

Here are some photos of a 10 gal. tank I have had success with.

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used that plastic stuff that they make outdoor signs out of. Worked good and it didn't require permanent seperation of the tank which is good because this guy got eaten by his mate anyways. This was right after I put the divider in and I started to clean up the mess inside the tank, I guess I shouldn't have put him in before I was done arrainging it, it took about 5 minutes to get him off of there.

Ed

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I used that plastic stuff that they make outdoor signs out of. Worked good and it didn't require permanent seperation of the tank which is good because this guy got eaten by his mate anyways. This was right after I put the divider in and I started to clean up the mess inside the tank, I guess I shouldn't have put him in before I was done arrainging it, it took about 5 minutes to get him off of there.

Ed

i am almost positive a determined invert could get through foamcore some how... i know it would barely slow down a large centipede and i expect tarantulas are probably just about as handy and powerful with their fangs