New Pede

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, a friend of mine just got this beauty, i'm not sure what species it is, anybody can identify this one please, looks very familiar only i can't come up with the species name :8o

greetz

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, tell me that's not a Peruvian. Any idea what your friend paid for it?

Atrax

CeeTee

Arachnopeon
WoW......What a beauty, looks like a Peruvian Giant to me! How long is it?:eek:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
can't come up with the species name
he, he, he just kidding, my guess was also a Peruvian Giant :D
I'll visited my friend this weekend, i'll ask all about it, how much it cost and were he got it from ;)

greetz

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
It seems to resemble all the pics I've seen of the so-called "Peruvian Giant" ... what the honest-to-God scientific name is of this species is up in the air. Although from discussions with the scientist who actually WROTE the revised description of S. gigantea, there is an equal chance it may be S. galapagoensis. We shall have to wait and see when more of make their way into the hobby (if ever).

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, so you'll all think it's a Peruvian Giant , is that a description of the Gigantea Robusta?

I heard he bought it for an Venezuela Gigantea

More info is coming,.... :D

greetz

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by gongyles
Hey, so you'll all think it's a Peruvian Giant , is that a description of the Gigantea Robusta?
There is no such species as S. gigantea robusta. Carl Sandefer did nothing more than hypothesize in his book that the description for S. gigantea closely resembled the description for S. robusta, and that one should be a subspecies of the other. It is a valid trinomial scientific name that seems to have caught on in the hobby like wildfire, but conversations with scientists have left me with the distinct impression that they are not terribly pleased that the mis-labelling has been suggested, and now must be dealt with.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tom,
I've also read that Scolopendra robusta is a Mexican/Central American species. True?
john

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
john,

I have not, as of yet, been able to track down a scientific description of this species... I will post to the boards when I find out new info...

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, i've got some more info about this pede:
my friend has bought it from a dutch spiderdealer for !!!25Euro!!!

i'll keep you informed

greetz :D

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by gongyles
Beauty isn't she?
Yes she is! This centipede has great color to it. It blows the other drab dark centiedes posted on this board away! Every now and then someone posts a color morph of a centipede that is strikingly colored. From what I understand, colors are unstable in many centipedes, and the variation is poorly understood. Looks like your friend picked a great specimen of a colorful species.

The other color that I think is striking is the pedes that have the reverse color pattern of a typical Scolopendra heros , with a black head and red body . Those are also pretty specimens.

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Professor T
The other color that I think is striking is the pedes that have the reverse color pattern of a typical Scolopendra heros , with a black head and red body . Those are also pretty specimens.
Well, since there's three known flavors of heros, there's no such thing as "typical" in this case, only "more common". No one member of the heros group is terribly common, but the morph you are referring to as typical is S. h. "castaneiceps" (I think the scientific community has finally decided that they are morphs and not ssp?), and the one you were saying you like is S. h. "arizonensis", normal morph, although they come in a banded morph as well.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Now that is a nice pede, wolsnt mind having one of those bad boys

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz

I've also read that Scolopendra robusta is a Mexican/Central American species. True?

I remember Rowland Shelley talking about this on the Yahoo forum. From what I remember, someone described a centipede from northern Mexico and named it either S. robusta or S. gigantea (I can't remember which). When the type specimen was later examined it turned out to be Scolopendra heros. I don't know if anyone's published a correction.

Steve