PDA

View Full Version : Call me George

lpw
02-26-2007, 08:25 AM
I got this as Stromatopelma calceatum, which I'm pretty sure it's not. Any idea what it is is? :? Looks more Pterinochilus-like to me... lugardi? Whatever it is, it's pretty beat-up, or going for that Kojak look.

Thanks!

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/lwawrzyn/Arachnida/Theraphosidae/hmmm2.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/lwawrzyn/Arachnida/Theraphosidae/hmmm1.jpg

CedrikG
02-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi,

Yes this is a Pterinochilus lugardi ... in a big need of a molt.

phil jones
02-26-2007, 11:12 AM
hi you paid for THAT hope you got a good deal on it any way GOOD LUCK to you and your ( t ) -- phil

Mina
02-26-2007, 11:15 AM
I agree it looks like a lugardi. There isn't anything wrong with the poor little thing. It looks like it will moult soon then it will be beautiful. No T is at their best looking just before a moult.

CedrikG
02-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Well ... i've to agree with Phil that this specimen does'nt look real healty you know ... my pre molt spider never looked like this, in my opinion the ex-owner was a bad keeper. This said, with a good home, it will get back on its feet pretty quickly

lpw
02-26-2007, 11:22 AM
hi you paid for THAT hope you got a good deal on it any way GOOD LUCK to you and your ( t ) -- philHehe... It's pretty rugged, yeah. Nothing a moult could not fix, tho. I didn't really see the whole T at the time of purchase, just a bit of the abdomen and a leg (it was hiding behind a piece of cork bark). But I got it from someone that I've dealt with before, and saw no need to do a full "inspection" in the store. I believe there was an honest misclassification somewhere down the line, and I can always have it replaced.

Then again... I was recently considering adding a Pterinochilus to my collection anyway. Oh, decisions, decisions....

lpw
02-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Well ... i've to agree with Phil that this specimen does'nt look real healty you know ... my pre molt spider never looked like this, in my opinion the ex-owner was a bad keeper. This said, with a good home, it will get back on its feet pretty quicklyCedrik, I believe that the T was wild-caught and a bit of TLC should restore its health after whatever ordeals it was through (unless there are some devious parasites). The person I bought it from certainly wasn't a bad keeper and, to my knowledge, acquired the T fairly recently.

Alice
02-26-2007, 11:30 AM
oh well, that's nothing a good molt won't fix. i'd go with lugardi as well.

and why not keep it? they are gorgeous and quite as invisible as the stromatopelma you intended to buy ;).

green_bottle_04
02-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi,

Yes this is a Pterinochilus lugardi ... in a big need of a molt.

agreed. and you are right...a molt should clear it right up. :D

lpw
02-26-2007, 11:36 AM
and why not keep it? they are gorgeous and quite as invisible as the stromatopelma you intended to buy ;).I agree, but my Stromatopelma male might object to this choice of a mate... I needed a girl S. calceatum for breeding purposes. I suspect that a P. lugardi female might wreck the mood.

Alice
02-26-2007, 11:47 AM
lol, i suspect you are right. if it was not too expensive, i'd keep the lugardi anyway and just buy another date for the stromatopelma guy.

phil jones
02-26-2007, 12:31 PM
have you got a p - murinus in your collection if not i would go for it ( good fun to keep ;) :wicked: :razz: -- phil

spid142
02-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Like Phil said, maybe trade for a p. murinus. Really striking orange color. I got one and really like the contrast of her as compared to some of my other Ts.

Sunar
02-26-2007, 05:21 PM
S. calceatum is probably worth a bit more then a P. lugardi. You may want to get some cash back.

As far as the P. murinus...they are cheaper then P. lugardi's...if you want a P. murinus just pick up a cheap one...

~Fred