Been a week since molt, should I offer food yet?

Sicel1304

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys,

Well come this Friday it will be a full week since my female G. Aureostratia molted, and I was wondering whether or not I should offer her any food yet. She hasn't eaten in at least three to four months when she went into pre-molt, and in comparison to the rest of her body, her abdomen seems pretty small. Here's some pictures of her showing off her new colors. Enjoy!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She looks pretty big and her abdomen looks fine, so I would wait one more week. Gorgeous Grammostola aureostriata.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
rule of thumb is give food after week; withdraw food in 24hrs if not taken.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
rule of thumb is give food after week; withdraw food in 24hrs if not taken.

It actually really depends on the species and size of the T. For a 4"+ Grammostola spp. I would wait atleast 2 weeks.

Also, Sicel1304, if those pictures are from today then definately don't feed yet, she looks soft still. One way to determine to even try to feed is to check on her fangs if and when she is on the side of the glass(don't lift her up in anyway to check her fangs, leave her be) to see if they are jet black.

Sicel1304

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies. She's my first spider, actually my first "exotic" pet, lol.

And to think...a couple years ago, I wouldn't even sleep in the same room if I knew there was a spider there, and now I have a +3.5' tarantula sleeping on my nightstand right next to my head. Funny how the brain works, doesn't it? :)