What's my Peruvian Giant doing?

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
...and another shot. I'm pretty excited. This is the first time I've actually seen one of my big 'pedes molt.
john

Attachments

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Great pics Lariz

How often do you get to see that?! I saw one of my peruvians molt once. I wanted to take the molt away from her and save it but i let her eat it, figuring there was a reason that they do this. Do you know why they do this and are you gonna let her eat it also? Great pics!

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Where's the 'pede experts?...

Here's a pic of the last segment and terminal legs. You'll notice a process between the terminal legs. Spermatheca? Hershey highway?
What do you'z think?
john
PS Another thing noteworthy, to me at least, was that during the molt, I saw the spiracles opening and closing not unlike a whale's blow-hole.

Attachments

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow - cool pics lariz

how much bigger do pedes normally get after each molt?

stu

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Great pics Lariz

Originally posted by Philth
How often do you get to see that?! I saw one of my peruvians molt once. I wanted to take the molt away from her and save it but i let her eat it, figuring there was a reason that they do this. Do you know why they do this and are you gonna let her eat it also? Great pics!
Philth,
I was tempted to take it away, just to show the guys at work. I don't think they can fathom a centipede this big, until they see something tangible.
But like you, I thought it would be better for it to have a snack.
I can only suspect the reason they do this is to recycle some lost energy. ?
thanks,
john

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The best molting pics I have ever seen John! Excellent work!
How long did it take for any new color to set in?

Atrax

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
The best molting pics I have ever seen John! Excellent work!
How long did it take for any new color to set in?
Atrax
Thanks Gary, I wish I could use the higher quality pics, but I don't have a webhost to host my pics.
So I gotta attach.
Since this just happened (the molt), there's no color yet. I totally missed the start of it. The first pic I took happened about 11:20pm EST, and the last, around 12:10am EST.
john

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Where's the 'pede experts?...

Originally posted by LaRiz
Here's a pic of the last segment and terminal legs. You'll notice a process between the terminal legs. Spermatheca? Hershey highway?
What do you'z think?

I saw the same thing on mine a couple of days ago. It extended it and pressed it into the substrate a couple of times. I think it was probably defecating, but I wonder if there could be details that might indicate gender. Sort of reminds me of the male occelated monitor I used to have (loved that one like it was my first born :) who was clearly sexable everytime he tried to douse me with lizard poo. Maybe those memories of doo doo dodging are why I don't have any Avicularias.

Steve

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Best pictures ever !!!!!

congrats, really nice

greetz

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Man, I wish I wasn't such a pussy. I REALLY want one of those bastards, but I'm scared to death of them.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
John,

Those are the best pede molting pics i've ever seen. Come to think of it, they're the only pede moulting pics i've ever seen! My subspinipes moulted recently, but i didn't want to disturb it whilst it was doing it, i wish i had now, honestly, those are great pictures. I did take away the moult soon after it finished though, and i'm the proud owner of a centipede exoskeleton. The problem is, as soon as the moulting finishes, the exoskeleton contracts to a couple of inches long, so it really doesn't give the impression of how big the pede is. i'll post some pics of it when my new camera arrives.

Cheers,

Dan.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Boy, some people sure are flaky.... ;p
Scott
Scott, I remember those. No doubt they're the best centipede molting pics sequence on the internet. Nice and clear, not like mine. :(

Here's the 12 hour update. As you can see, it's getting some color. And almost finished munching the old skin.

Attachments

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by LaRiz
Scott, I remember those. No doubt they're the best centipede molting pics sequence on the internet. Nice and clear, not like mine. :(

What the hell are you talking about John? Your pictures are excellent :D I didn't mean to imply that mine were better. I was just busting on Gary for switching teams :) Just you wait, someone else will post molting pics one day and they'll leave you just like they left me... :( ;P

Scott

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Just you wait, someone else will post molting pics one day and they'll leave you just like they left me... :( ;P
Scott
Scott, yeah I knew what you meant. :)
And yes, the day will come when somebody will come along and have better molting pics. :rolleyes: :D
My pics are alright. They look like they lack the quality that some other pic posters have.
john

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Don't knock yourself John. Those pics were amazing. And seem to be much better lit than most of mine :)

Scott