ArachnoRecord Online Idea, Important for you to read.

Leon945

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello people..

I've had an idea for some time now, and i'm thinking maybe i should do it.
First off, if you don't know me, my name is Leon, and last year i developed a little program named ArachnoRecord, (posted in this forum) to help you keep track of your Arachnids.

Right now it is a "stand-alone" java-based program for your desktop, meaning that it works on your computer... only.

I was thinking to make ArachnoRecord Online, meaning, you would be able to access your information from ANY computer with an internet connection.
And not only that, but being Online means a whole of stuff can be added to the program.

Here are what would be some basic improvements on the current ArachnoRecord:
-Data organization would be alot better than it is now.
-Much more intuitive program to use.
-Complete control over your information.
-Customizable reports in HTML or PDF

Here are some things that could be added (since its going to be online):
-Sharing your Arachnid list
-Sharing contact info
-Photo albums
-MAYBE a trading system
-Profile of each person, with your own recommended hot links.
-ton more stuff.

NOW, i need to hear this from you..
I am willing to not charge anything at all for this, i like doing it, it joins 2 of my hobbies (programming and arachnids).
BUT hosting does have a cost, and I cannot pay for it forever.

The question is, are you guys willing to donate?
The cost of hosting is around $17 dlls per month.
So there would be a need of donation of about 17dlls per month, from whoever wants to donate.

what do you guys think? please post a reply here to see your opinion.
thanks! :D

dr_hemlock2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hello

Sounds like a plan to me would this donation be from every person signing up for the service then and if so would thier be different levels i mean would it run like a web site would only on a service type level.
doc
:clap:

Leon945

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was planning on a suscription based app.
Similar to this forums sign up process for example.

My plan is to make donations voluntary, as to not force anyone to pay, but those who are able to, do donate.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
looks like hosting is 17 per month an he needs some ppl to donate to total 17 per month to me. Not sure tho. Sounds about right for that tho. If so the donatiosn potentially would be very small to maintain the service per person
id sugest a paypal link for donations
Even tho i am at odds wiht them right now lol

Leon945

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks like hosting is 17 per month an he needs some ppl to donate to total 17 per month to me. Not sure tho. Sounds about right for that tho. If so the donatiosn potentially would be very small to maintain the service per person
id sugest a paypal link for donations
Even tho i am at odds wiht them right now lol
yeah, pay pal is what i had in mind too, like i said, voluntary donations, not forced upon.

dr_hemlock2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
good idea

i like this idea but this site would be more than just another website it would be what i like to call a service website we would provide a way for people who would like to keep records on thier "beasts" to have a way of doing it without having to have any programming knowledge or certain application knowledge to have access to thier data.
doc
:cool:

Skulnik

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You could really go balls out and use this as a definitive record of whats out there. It would give a more clear idea of whats "rare" and what's pretty common, kind of like Beckett's sports card guides online.

For example, if all the big-wig dealers register on your site, and 25 guys hatch a hundred P. Metallica each, could they really charge $200 a sling?

I think it would be a great tool to boost the hobby and make it easier for T. owners to educate themselves.

If its data-driven and user friendly, you may have a very important website on your hands.

Leon945

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah,
its got a lot of potential.. I definitely got your idea...

But I need to know, would you guys be willing to donate?

I'd like to see replies like, "I'm willing to donate, go for it"

Like I said it would be a voluntary donation to pay for hosting. If 20 or 30 people could give 1 dollar per month, or 12 dollars per year, we could get a really good hosting for the website...

what do you think?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You could really go balls out and use this as a definitive record of whats out there. It would give a more clear idea of whats "rare" and what's pretty common, kind of like Beckett's sports card guides online.

For example, if all the big-wig dealers register on your site, and 25 guys hatch a hundred P. Metallica each, could they really charge $200 a sling?

I think it would be a great tool to boost the hobby and make it easier for T. owners to educate themselves.

If its data-driven and user friendly, you may have a very important website on your hands.
UM if people pay 200 for a sling then they will probably sell them for 200 each even if 500 dealer hatch 100 slings

dr_hemlock2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it is time

it is time for this hobby to grow up and come into the 20th century and to make clear consise avenues for future generations in this hobby. by enhancing the public knowledge of what is out there and providing clear and consise breeding and cultivation records we will accomplish something very exciting here i hope you guys/gals see this. it will only make us stronger not weaken us and those that do not see this are either not willing to change or should perhaps reevaluate thier place in the hobby. this is a serious science that i hope to learn more about everyday and i think the site in itself would provide data not avaliable to the average user as i have fond out through my research. this is my two cents shoot me if i am wrong
doc
:eek:

Skulnik

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
UM if people pay 200 for a sling then they will probably sell them for 200 each even if 500 dealer hatch 100 slings
I disagree. If this proposed website is successful, and people reference it to find the availability of a type of T, then prices will become more realistic.

There's a huge run for breeding P. Metallicas right now, but eventually the market's going to be flooded with their slings and some other rare and difficult to breed spider will be the next big thing.

If we know that there's thousands of slings crawling around out there, we'd be crazy to spend $200 for one.

Supply and demand, baby.

Leon945

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, responses have not been very encouraging...
These are the potential benefits:

Keep track of all your arachnids
There will be a very complete list of species for you to choose from, with common names. You will be able to keep track of molts, feeding, mating etc.
You will also have record of purchase date, birthdate, and pretty much anything you can think of.

All this will be displayed in a list, each row of the list would be one of your pets, clicking on it would show you detailed information of that pet.
The list would be sortable by species, purchase date, birthdate, name.
You would be able to search this list by typing in the species, name, birthdate, purchase date.. you name it.

Share info
You would be able to assign a status to your pet, such as
-for sale
-not for sale
-sold

As well as the stage of your arachnid, maybe:
-sling
-adult
-old

With this you would be able to "generate reports", with specific info you selected so you can print it, or share it online with other "would-be" members of arachnorecord.

Care
You would be able to create caresheets based on your experience,
for specific species.
this would then be available to everyone, in a caresheet database, searchable too.

Community
This could generate a community of arachnofans and have a very interesting and possibly complete database with ALOT of information available to everyone.

these are some things i can think of, but there definitely are many more escalating options.

all this accessed from any computer, and for free of charge!
All im asking is u guys to help with the hosting of this project,
if someone does not know what this means, it means there is a cost for having the website up and running, this cost in the beginning (as mentioned) is between 17-30 dlls.

what do you guys say?? come oN! :cool:

Skulnik

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it is time for this hobby to grow up and come into the 20th century and to make clear consise avenues for future generations in this hobby. by enhancing the public knowledge of what is out there and providing clear and consise breeding and cultivation records we will accomplish something very exciting here i hope you guys/gals see this. it will only make us stronger not weaken us and those that do not see this are either not willing to change or should perhaps reevaluate thier place in the hobby. this is a serious science that i hope to learn more about everyday and i think the site in itself would provide data not avaliable to the average user as i have fond out through my research. this is my two cents shoot me if i am wrong
doc
:eek:
WORD 'EM UP DOC!!

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I like this idea very much, sounds like it has huge potential, and yes I would
certainly donate once it got off the ground. Ideally a Paypal link.

Cheers to you for the innovative thinking. :clap:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i don't have a huge amount of free time but i would be willing to collaborate on code if you want

i don't know if i could actually use the program though... except maybe to track breeding projects. i barely have enough time to take care of my bugs much less data log anymore :(

i think $12 a year is very doable for me, also

Leon945

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice to hear some people going with the idea!
anyone else?
come oon...
it's a good project idea.. admit it! :}

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd be willing to contribute. This is a great idea. Although i'm not educated in writing code i am a network admin so i can easily see the benefits and possibilities here. If People would submit to having their info used thusly this could be made into a larger tracking system for real world numbers of arachnids in captivity and useful info on behavior, feeding, breeding etc.

It occurs to me that if this thing gets going it could actually become the most accurate repository in the world for population info on some of these species. For example: does anybody here know approximately how many p. metallica's actually exist in captivity today?

Who know's? Leon, this may be your million dollar idea.

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think its a great Idea, and I agree w/ skulnik, if it is used by a good portion of hobbiests it has the potential to bring the hobby prices to a far more realistc level, although I am sure that metallica prices will drop dramaticly with or without it in the next year or two, it would be an invaluable tool in finding species and also in keeping track of captive populations and breeding programs, in order to work it would have to be used though, I have had the Arachn record program on my com. for over a year now and have so far entered 2 spiders into it, I just havent got the time to spend updating the record, especialy w/ a revolving/fluctuating inventory of hundreds of spiders, Id like to know how many hobbiests are currently keeping accurate loggs on this program now, any ideas on how this program could be made more "Dealer friendly" perhaps w/ mass entries such as 25 Avicularia versicolor 1/2" slings got in trade from XXXXXXXXX for VVVVVVVVVVVV Idont know, just anything to cut down on time spent on data entry, I'd deffinately donate to the cause though just to see where it may go, it realy could be a huge step in the hobby if it takes off, count me in!!!!!, Brandon

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As a total newbie to the hobby this is just my opinion.

It sounds like an amazing tool for the hobby whether a beginner or someone who has been breeding, dealing, studying T's for years. You could learn so very much from this type of record keeping. As a buyer you would be able to see who is selling what and where making it easier to track down a certain sp. or find a male/female for a breeding project.

Would this be a worldwide project?

Elaine

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think its a great Idea, and I agree w/ skulnik, if it is used by a good portion of hobbiests it has the potential to bring the hobby prices to a far more realistc level, although I am sure that metallica prices will drop dramaticly with or without it in the next year or two, it would be an invaluable tool in finding species and also in keeping track of captive populations and breeding programs, in order to work it would have to be used though, I have had the Arachn record program on my com. for over a year now and have so far entered 2 spiders into it, I just havent got the time to spend updating the record, especialy w/ a revolving/fluctuating inventory of hundreds of spiders, Id like to know how many hobbiests are currently keeping accurate loggs on this program now, any ideas on how this program could be made more "Dealer friendly" perhaps w/ mass entries such as 25 Avicularia versicolor 1/2" slings got in trade from XXXXXXXXX for VVVVVVVVVVVV Idont know, just anything to cut down on time spent on data entry, I'd deffinately donate to the cause though just to see where it may go, it realy could be a huge step in the hobby if it takes off, count me in!!!!!, Brandon
sounds like the perfect place for some perl parsing to me.