PDA

View Full Version : L. parahybana

Longbord1
05-22-2003, 02:48 PM
can L. parahybana be handled i won the arachno quikie contest and i don't know what to do can people inform me

stu
05-22-2003, 02:55 PM
L.Parahybana is well up there on my wish list - I hope to be getting a few slings soon :)

Although Ive never kept them before I have read and heard that they are normally docile but have a habit of kicking hairs. Most people Ive spoke to who keep them say that they make good display tarantulas - they tend to stay in the open a lot. They also seem to have huge appetites and are fast growers

They also grow huge :) 9inchs or so?

Although I tend not to handle any T unless I have too, I assume, if they are docile, they can be handled - but once they grow big be careful of them falling.

Im sure if im wrong someone will correct me - like I said ive never kept them myself.

Also what Ive learned since getting into this hobby is its pretty hard to know what a T will do no matter what species :)

cheers

Stu.

Longbord1
05-22-2003, 03:01 PM
i can sell u a sling

stu
05-22-2003, 03:04 PM
longboard.

Id love you too - but im over in the UK, im gonna get a few from rich in Birmingham I hope,

cheers though,

Stu.

Vys
05-22-2003, 03:05 PM
I've also found my sub-adult one to kick-hairs pretty readily, but no real threat-displays as of yet. Wouldn't think of handling it though, I'd get really itchy and I'd get a shaved-looking T again.

Longbord1
05-22-2003, 03:25 PM
i won twenty can i keep them together at full size and are they easy to breed

Vys
05-22-2003, 03:40 PM
If you have some primal roman blood in you, do keep them together as adults. You'll get one fat and 19 parahybana-meals, probably.

So no, keep them separately.

Longbord1
05-22-2003, 03:41 PM
what about when there slings

rapunzel
05-22-2003, 03:42 PM
you want only one very fat t. They will eat each other.
I love my L. parahybana, they grow FAST, love to dig burrows, and spend half the time doing that, half the time hanging out in the open.
The kick hairs QUICK, they don't like to be handled, love to eat, and they get big.
this is my favorite T.

rob
05-22-2003, 03:50 PM
I have a L. parahybana sling (about 1.5 to 2") and it is loaded with attitude! I open the container and it is immediately in defensive posture. It actually charges at anything that enters the container. I wouldn't handle it, it is super quick. Oh BTW, its also an eating machine. I'd swear sometimes I can actually watch it get fatter by the minute.:)

TheSpiderHouse
05-22-2003, 04:28 PM
I have one that's about 4-5 inches.. the sucker is very non-handlable. It attacks just about anything that comes into its cage. When I pour water in the dish, it attacks the water, if I remove the dish, it attacks the dish, if I use my tongs to grab a bolus, it attacks the tongs. It also flicks hairs at anything. Often just opening the lid to the tank causes a hair bombardment. Man, what an impressive appetite though! If it ever turns down food, you can be sure a molt is upcoming. Great display T also, mine never goes in its corkbark retreat. It just sits out in the open and dares anything to mess with it. As already mentioned, I wouldn't put two together.. even as slings. Will end up with one fat sling that way. Mines a bit of a diva in that it hasn't so much as moved the slightest bit of dirt.. though some move dirt around a lot. They aren't really deep burrowers, they just seem to think they are construction workers.. always renovating thier cage. Mines more of a pet rock though.. a rock with a massive appetite, and lots of attitude. Heres a mug shot of it with 2 superworms in its fangs..
http://www.spidertalk.net/SpiderTalk/images/upload/Delonigan/Lasiodora%20parahybana/374.jpg

Vys
05-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Mine won't attack things like the waterdish being removed, or my hand trying to rearrange something, but she will come investigating, meaning come and put a foot or two on whatever is bothering her environment. She tries to climb sometimes, but that's about the sorriest thing I've ever seen :p
Not much of a digger, just some small holes against the corners of the tank, however she does like to halfly bury the sad downhanging leaves of the Philodendron still alive in there.

DiStUrBeD-OnE
05-22-2003, 05:23 PM
i cant wait for mine to get here from the contest.. its gonna be so cool having that many slings with that kind of appetite :D

NightCrawler
05-22-2003, 06:36 PM
You guys are so lucky to see your l.parahybanas. My 2 2" slings hides 24/7 and havent eaten in the 3 weeks I have had them

Longbord1
05-22-2003, 06:50 PM
how many di u win i got 20

DiStUrBeD-OnE
05-22-2003, 07:02 PM
i got 20 also.. i was 14 away from the total amount

Ian

Longbord1
05-22-2003, 07:03 PM
my mom freaked so i could only get 3

DiStUrBeD-OnE
05-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Well im sporting the "What mom doesnt know wont hurt her" Method.. she thinks i have 3 tarantulas.. got 10.. lol=D
I Say get the 20.. sell 10 and say noone will buy the other 10 and you cant just throw them out ;P

Longbord1
05-22-2003, 07:18 PM
first things first
1. U don't know m,y mom;P
2. we have no big cages
3. We don't wanna pay 30 bucks a week for crickets
4. i only know one person who will buy it my teacher
5. The petshops would never take a 11 inch T
6. My friends think im looney for having a G Rosea

P.S. sorry if i sound bitchy this is not direct towards u at all don't take it personally=D =D =D =D =D

Longbord1
05-22-2003, 07:18 PM
what was hte total amount

rapunzel
05-22-2003, 07:26 PM
My L. parahybana dug itself a burrow that goes straight down the middle of the container to the bottom, then turns and goes all the way to the far side of the container.
It rushes the side of the container whenever I open it, but I don't think it is doing it to attack, just to figure out what the heck I am doing. When it is eating, it snatches the cricket as soon as it hits the dirt.
These are my favorite of all. I also inhaled the flicky hairs that it made a cloud of and was I ever miserable for a couple days..got them in my eyes, nose, cheek...looked like I had been slapped a bit.
They grow fast, but not that darn fast. you said you don't have huge cages, they won't need "huge" cages, for quite some time.

DiStUrBeD-OnE
05-22-2003, 07:39 PM
When he sends them they will probably be able to live in the container they come for for atleast 2 molts..

And i use 3 week old crics to feed my slings, just crush their head... and as ive heard these type of spiders eat like crazy so i think they wont sit there n molt.. So itll be 2-3 bucks a week :D

And if the petshops were smart... they would be chompin at the bit to get a 11 inch T. Imagine how much of an Attention grabber a 11 inch spider sittin there would be to people :D

and the total number was like 2605.. i guessed 2619

And kim..er.. Ouch? bet those hairs musta felt rreeaall good eh? :eek:

Ian

rapunzel
05-22-2003, 07:44 PM
I dont remember the details,I bent down to look in the tank for some stupid reason, and it kicked a storm of hairs at me, and I inhaled them.. I felt like I had breathed in glass.
Learned my lesson, though. :)
I still think they are the best T's!

DiStUrBeD-OnE
05-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Yea.. i know im gonna love these little guys when they come:D
But i know i cant take care of 20 of em..(too new to the hobby, seems like a big hassle) So im gonna be giving ernie a few of em, Since hes the one who got me into this hobby and gave me my first T and all that stuff=D
A few of my friends and a teacher want to buy one also, so ill probably end up with like 10..

Ian

rapunzel
05-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by DiStUrBeD-OnE
Yea.. i know im gonna love these little guys when they come:D
But i know i cant take care of 20 of em..(too new to the hobby, seems like a big hassle) So im gonna be giving ernie a few of em, Since hes the one who got me into this hobby and gave me my first T and all that stuff=D
A few of my friends and a teacher want to buy one also, so ill probably end up with like 10..

Ian

If i had won, I was gonna have them all sent to Ernie, then I was going to tell Ernie to send me only a couple ...I think he just has us all hypnotised so he can get more t's ;P

Kim

DiStUrBeD-OnE
05-22-2003, 08:03 PM
So that was ernies evil plan all along.. i KNEW it! lol :p

Ian

Iktomi
05-22-2003, 09:35 PM
I occasionally handle mine...but I have to take plenty of time to do it. I usually use the brush to gently prod him over the side of the enclosure and onto my very flat and STILL hand. I don't care what anyone says, either...they know when the crawl on your hand that you are something to be unsure of. The moment a leg touches my palm he freezes and feels around and gets very reluctant to walk.
Sometimes he acts just like my P. murinus...i.e. stands his ground and bites and shows fangs. Other times he just sprints around the enclosure making lots of noise! He is awesome. I think I'll name him Walter Mathaeu.
:D

Sean
05-23-2003, 01:53 AM
I alwayz see people talking about L.Parahybana being agressive mine isnt really too agressive he kicks hairs like a mother though, but as far as biting or trying to bite he never even trys id say hes bold more then agressive he likes to it on top of his hid(which is an up sidedown plastic flower pot) and just hang out when ever i come he either runs into his hide or kicks hairs occasionlly he sits in his hide and when i come to change his water dish or whatever he runs out to see whats going on(very bold like i said before) and sees whats going on and just starts kicking hairs there are more agressive spiders out there and its not liek your getting shipped a bunch of giant spiders either there like 1/2 inch slings but a year from now they should be pretty large id say 5-6 inches maybe more, they grow pretty fast and there my personal favorite

Sean

Longbord1
05-23-2003, 02:54 PM
how big are the fangs on an adult

NightCrawler
05-23-2003, 03:02 PM
I have read that they can get up to 3/5 inch maybe a little more

RugbyDave
05-23-2003, 07:14 PM
seriously one of themost beautiful T's out there...
big bad boys!

are you planning on breeding when they get older (the Ts, not you)

peace
dave

DiStUrBeD-OnE
05-23-2003, 07:43 PM
Well i know i want to.. but after seeing that pic of tonys.. oie.. could you imagine 2600 slings?:eek:

RugbyDave
05-23-2003, 08:03 PM
hell yes i could.. and hopefully very soon i will be :) Tony's the man though, what can you say?

later
peace

Sean
05-23-2003, 08:05 PM
What is the most an L.Parahybana can have i have seen up too 2000 but tonys had way more then that so how much can they have like max 3k??

DiStUrBeD-OnE
05-23-2003, 08:13 PM
Youd think a spider that has so many slings at a time would be as cheap as a rosie... but still costs ALOT when their adults.. Seems strange to me..

Ian

MrT
05-23-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by rapunzel
If i had won, I was gonna have them all sent to Ernie, then I was going to tell Ernie to send me only a couple ...I think he just has us all hypnotised so he can get more t's ;P

Kim

You guys are killin me..LOL :D
This is the first time I've looked at this thread.
No wonder my ears have been burning.

Thanks Ian,
The slings will be a kick to grow. And you know I'll be suppling most of the crickets.;)

Kim,
I'll send you anything you want. Just ask. :} And you shall receive.

DiStUrBeD-OnE
05-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Yea.. its seriously gonna take alot of crics to get these beasts to a good size.. Time for the Cric-Breeding project eh ern?:D

rapunzel
05-23-2003, 09:00 PM
soon you may be receiving a pkg from me :)

Longbord1
05-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Can u post some pics, Stories, and temperment of ur L. parahybana

rapunzel
05-24-2003, 01:40 PM
L. parahybana thread on this board.
I think you can find alot of picts that people posted also by typing L. parahybana in the "search".
I think I can find one of my picts. out for you...

*here:

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?threadid=9194

ithuriel
05-24-2003, 02:40 PM
:) havent got round to posting any pics yet but from what ive seen of my little bint she is definitely aggresive. she really likes/hates crickets;) and will attack her water bowl when im filling it even though she may have her fangs full of locust:rolleyes:

Longbord1
05-25-2003, 01:28 PM
can everyone please post pics or tell me about there l. paryhabana cage set ups and what size food u give them, also how well they are doing

kellygirl
05-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Spiderlings usually do well in deli cups across the board, except for arboreal species where you might opt for a small vial instead.

Pinheads are the general food of choice for spiderlings. You should be fine with feeding them anything that is just under the size of the spiderling itself. I think you will quickly find that L. parahybanas are bottomless pits and will eat as much as you offer.

For am L. parahybana caresheet, look here: http://www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcaresheets/lparahybanac.htm

Hope that's helpful to you!

kellygirl

RugbyDave
05-25-2003, 03:05 PM
i agree -- i think most of us would -- parahybanas tend to be voracious eaters, esp as adults, but they keep doing that untill adulthood.

id say some substrate with temps a bit higher than you'd normally use..

a good rule of thumb is to treat slings as you would the adults, though some people tend to raise temps and humidity for slings.. you'll find theres alot in the T world that is pretty flexible.. everyone has their own reason for doing what they do with their Ts, so play around untill you find something that the T likes and is good for you!

you'll get the hang of it!

welcome :)
now, back to reasearching T-memory!
later
dave

Vys
05-25-2003, 03:09 PM
And they tend to be very brown when young, making them look like nothing in the world more than halfly shaved potatoes.
Also, while they eat like pigs when they're between molts, once they get ready for molt, and thereafter, they act really funny and wussy when it comes to food. Mine seems to have about a month of premolt-fast, and about 2.5 weeks after-molt-fast.

Edit: (Stupid tired brain going on autopilot..why, while, it becomes the same)

Longbord1
05-25-2003, 03:47 PM
im using potting soil filled delicups is this good or should i use a wet paper towel for substrate also can i feed them black ground beetles that are smaler than them

RugbyDave
05-25-2003, 04:48 PM
how big is your sling?

peace
dave

Longbord1
05-25-2003, 08:58 PM
i guess about 1/2 inch

Longbord1
05-25-2003, 10:26 PM
I would like to see all of your L. Parahybana pics to see who has large ones.

LPacker79
05-25-2003, 11:56 PM
I bought my parahybana when it was 1.5". At that time, she was in a deli cup with plain potting soil that was moistened several times a week. I don't give my T's that are under 2.5" a water dish, so misting served a dual purpose; humidity and water to drink if she wanted it.
At 1.5" my parahybana was eating the smallest crickets I can find at my local pet store, which were about 1/4". For smaller slings I use the same size crickets, but I smoosh their heads. The crix will still wiggle a bit, but are basically harmless. I've never had a sling yet that would refuse a maimed cricket unless the T was premolt.
I've got to get my cricket colony up and running. Buying crickets is getting a bit expensive, and I'm getting the 15 parahybana slings that Pronty won so I've got many mouths to feed!

Vys
05-26-2003, 03:03 AM
Roaches are guuuuud

vulpina
05-26-2003, 08:40 AM
My parahybana is not overly aggressive if handled but is a mean hair flicker. If you mess around in the tank too much I end up with a bald T. So I try to disturb her as little as possible.

Andy

Immortal_sin
05-26-2003, 11:32 AM
this female is close to 8". She is a total pig, but much calmer than my smaller female. Here she is, eating a deaths head roach

Henry Kane
05-26-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by longbord1
im using potting soil filled delicups is this good or should i use a wet paper towel for substrate also can i feed them black ground beetles that are smaler than them

Beetles wouldn't be a very good idea LB. Your s'lings probably wouldn't go after them anyway. Try to find a place near you that sells pinhead crickets.

Atrax

Merfolk
01-08-2006, 10:33 PM
I handle mine rarely, but whenever I do, I always touch the spider kindly (like rubbing her back with my finger, or allowing one of her legs to otuch my skin)
and do regulary anyways. So you don't scare it as your touch is somekind familiar.

I especialy handle when she just molted (can't bite then) and, after 'announcing myself' to her, I present my hand before her and she climbs without fuss.

They are days where she settles downs and acts cool when I touch her. Other times, she'll run, and act nervous then I leave her alone.

Pennywise
01-08-2006, 10:56 PM
I got 1" s'ling about 3 mo ago. After 2 molts is a little over 2". Good feeders
on reasonably proportioned crickets. Active, stay in the open. Doesn't
act like a good handler.