"Super Dark" Blue Vanuatu morph

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sometimes these things are SO dark! Had another one that was even darker... I'd be interested to hear theories on the vast Vanuatu region color range... They all seem to be the same species, but are they really? Some have green tips, others blue, some are almost colorless by comparison! Very interesting diversity in colors.

bill

Attachments

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
WOW !!! That is truly a cool looking pede...

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
mmm, quite impressive,
but i prefer more colorfull scolopendra's :D

If i remember correctly, the humidity has a role in colorvariations inbetween same species.
Don't know for sure, maybe some "experts" here know a more scientific explanation????

greetz

PS: Hey Invertepet, still no pictures of the orange pilmilipedes found on your site ;)

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm doing my best to find something valid on the topic but I'm no expert either.
Another factor that may play a part in same sp. color variation can be from natural hybridization.

I wonder how the dark coloration of the above pic serves as any warning to their natural enemies, if at all. In most centi's their aposematic coloration is pretty apparent. (bright reds, yellows, oranges, contrasting stripes etc.) I wonder if the dark color contrasts with it's natural surroundings somehow? :? Or maybe there is another local ground dwelling predator (venomous snake) in it's natural habitat that is colored similarly? :confused: Defensive mimicry?

*I'm rambling*

Either way, nice looking pede. Very "Darth Vader" looking. ;)

Bill, while you're posting pics of the Pill Millies, how about a pic of the "peach" colored Scolopendra sp. too?

Atrax

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
OK, OK, I get the message! ;)

Camera is charging up, pics will be forthcoming shortly.

Talk about peer pressure! :p

bill

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
OK, OK, I get the message! Camera is charging up, pics will be forthcoming shortly. Talk about peer pressure!
:D :D :D =D :}