i was told this is a chinese giant?

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if the centipede experts would please help identify my pede i bought it from archnocenter.com they said it is a chinese giant sub adult about a month or more ago
doesnt move much or eat that much either it has only eaten 3 times since i got it. any info would be great
thanks chyguy

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not an "expert" but I'll try to help. :)
The name "Chinese Giant" isn't much more than a petstore label. The dealer that sold it to you should have at least given you a genus name. Of well. :) That is a Scolopendra subspinipes. As far as exact origin, that would be almost impossibly to tell.

As far as it not eating much it may either be full (not likely), approaching a molt or a little stressed or in need of some "alone time". That would depend on how long you've had it.

A couple things I'd recommend would be to change your substrate to 70% sphagnum peat and 30% vermiculite.
The lack of movement may be due to inadequate humidity. I've noticed centipedes can get a little sluggish when their enclosures run too dry. Keep your humidity up at about low 70 to 78%...somewhere in that range. Temp should be in the low 70's at least as well.

Once you get him all set up it would do him some good to just be left alone for a few days so he can acclimate. The acclimation period can be different with each pede. Some acllimate right away, some take as long as a couple weeks. Either way, if his environment is to his liking (and he's healthy) he will settle in sooner or later.

I'm sure you know this but be very careful when dealing with your subspinipes. They have a very nasty (and painful)bite.

If there's anything I didn't cover, please let me know.

Atrax

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks atrax i will take evrything into consideration that you said
im sure he will be fine thanks chyguy