best millipede?

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
now, it would seem that most of you are into centipedes, which like some Ts can be unfriendly. heh.

basically, i am a weenie. :)

i am looking for a millipede and have heard that they are not aggressive, do not bite, and basically when alarmed will secrete a liquid upon you that will (at worst) stain your skin for a few days.

so...fact, fiction, suggestions?

thanks guys. :p

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not aware of any millipede that's aggressive or bites, so the variables are really going to be based on your personal prefrances regarding size, coloration, ease of care, etc. Achispirostreptus gigas, the African Giant Black, is a great beginner pede, large (up to 12" or maybe more!) and easy to keep. Not colorful, however!

They may stain your fingers, and be sure to wash after handling, you don't want to accidently rub the chemicals in your eyes. They do tend to nibble alot, including fingers occasionally, but this, at worst, tickles.

Wade

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Neo's Reply

Almost any millipedes that are sold in the petstore or those on the internet are usually harmless and usually all make good pets, unless the pet sellers themselves have something to say about it. Before buying any certain type of millipede you should do research and ask the pet dealer himself. Yes african giant millipedes are your best bet considering people like their enormous side, probably the largest millipede, they are hardy and easy to raise on fruits found in your house or in your nearest market store, they are also practically harmless and their liquids only stain your hands. AS long as you dont swallow or get it in your eyes.

There have been facts that certain millipede secrete different potents of different liquid. Some are said to burn intensely while other can be deadly if you swallow. Don't swallow or get it in your eyes are the most important advice I can give you. Be sure what you bring yourself into. African Giants are great starters, but might be a little too large for beginners, creepy.

In some parts of asia, people cover their food because there have been recordings on some type of millipede falling into their food and causing deaths. This I heard from a friend's relative.

Millipedes are fun in the way you can touch them and play with them. They do stink up the place a bit fast, considering the fruit that is rotting and other pests entering, and the pure smell of the pede. They do smell. Well I'll stop here, If you need more info ask.

Laters. :D

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks guys, great information.

don't worry about the stain thing, i am an avid hand-washer if for no other reason than (besides cleanliness of course) that i own kingsnakes.

there's an awesome reason right there.

i do think it's better to get an animal/invert/whatever used to one smell too. so, i have this nice-smelling soap and they always know it's me.

the benefit to this is since other people must wash their hands before handling my animals (no exceptions) they also always smell like this soap.

i think regularity in handling techinques goes a long way to helping keep docile animals docile.

hmmm...didn't know they smelled. might have to rethink that one. :)

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Its not the millie that smells, its their home.
Its not a bad smell either, its a fresh dirt smell.
There's no need to let their food get totally gross either.
Keeping their home too wet causes the smell, along with
letting the food sit for too long(not the millies fault)

Millies do have mites that live on their body. Thats the gross
part, IMO:eek:

I have 7 in my collection, all are a different color.
Some grow faster than others.
They are nice and quiet, which is another good point:)

Holding them is kinda like getting tickled, its one of those things
you need to experience to really get it. (like a T) It feels wierd:eek:

One of mine "tried" to bite me, it was funny. I was holding him
and he chewed on the cuticle of one of my fingers. That felt
more odd then his walking on my hand.

They eat just about every veggie you can think of too,so
they are easy to feed. Mine like yellow and red peppers,
green peppers, romaine lettuce, squash. They also eat fruits
oranges, pears, peaches and tomatoes.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oh...well i don't mind the smell of soil at all. :)

ew, i think i would remove food before it started to rot...gross!

hmmm...what kind of mites and would they pose a threat to Ts or reptiles? i assume not the previous since you obviously keep Ts. ;)

awww...marcie, i couldn't get your link to work. :(