what kind of pede is this ?

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my freind in silver city new mexico caught these and brought them to me what kind of centipede is it?

Last edited:

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and another picture

Last edited:

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
wow, he's a puzzle.....

I'm pretty sure that it's a juvenile.... maybe polymorpha from the coloring, but the terminal legs scream heros... hmmmmm any chance we could get like SUPER close-up pics of the terminal legs and spines? :D

It's going to be impossible to tell from those pics, sorry man...

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
mmmm, my gues would be Arthrorohabdus pygmaeus, only they get about 2" :? looking at your pict this one is a bit bigger, so maybe it's a S.Suspines subspecies , no idea,... some EXPERTS here???:D

greetz

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure that it's a juvenile
maybe a dum question, but how do you see that???, because it isn't so fat???
:?, please let me know, and judging on a pict is indeed very hard ;)

greetz

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and maybe this one too

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd guess heros. Probably an odd morph of heros or arizonensis. Tom, the close up kind of reminds me of the banded morph of arizonensis. 'Course being that it was found in NM...What do you think?

The body structure looks to be a juvie. The size of the head in relation to the tergites is what indicates that possibility.

Excellent find either way! I hope it acclimates well for you. If it's S. heros ssp., excessive moisture can cause problems for them. Good air circulation is an important factor as well.

Good luck! :)

Atrax

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so does this mean i have some sort of shh. color morph?
i can probablly get abetter photo if anyone wants to try to narrow it down for sure.
well either way thanks alot everyone
chyguy

and the epitah i want on my tombstone "i threw my life away"
its a potter thing

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I wouldn't say the id is solid yet. A better pic would definitely help. If possible, a good close up of the head and one of the terminal legs. :)

Atrax

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what kind of pede is this?

Seems like much ado over an S. polymorpha to me, albeit a nice one.

There exists a nice orange color phase just like this with particularly narrow dark stripes from the Chiricahuas in Arizona northeast on into New Mexico. Silver City is about an hour as the crow flies northeast of the Chiricahuas. It also has very nice yellowish legs, more yellow than most color forms. The colors will likely brighten up a bit as it gets older, the orange getting brighter and clearer and the striping becoming more highly contrasted than it is currently.

The distribution of this particular color variation may be more widely distributed, I'm only reporting the part of the range that I have personally had time to observe.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
tailshot

question, do the latest pair of legs (the tail) changes of shape during his grow to maturity? (hopefully you know what i'm trying to say)

greetz

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you're asking me, I think I understand what you're asking, I'm just not sure why. The caudal legs appear consistent with an excited S. polymorpha. I've got quite a few here to compare to. If what you are asking is whether the size of the legs will become more proportionate to the body the answer is 'yes'. As these grow they tend to add girth in much greater proportion that length, giving them the appearance of 'growing into' those legs somewhat.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
to gphx

If what you are asking is whether the size of the legs will become more proportionate to the body the answer is 'yes'. As these grow they tend to add girth in much greater proportion that length, giving them the appearance of 'growing into' those legs somewhat.
that's what i asked ;) thanx
greetz

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by gphx
If you're asking me, I think I understand what you're asking, I'm just not sure why. The caudal legs appear consistent with an excited S. polymorpha. I've got quite a few here to compare to. If what you are asking is whether the size of the legs will become more proportionate to the body the answer is 'yes'. As these grow they tend to add girth in much greater proportion that length, giving them the appearance of 'growing into' those legs somewhat.
Now that you point it out Darrin, the caudal legs are more consistent in shape with S. polymorpha than S. heros but I have honestly never seen one with such stunning colors before.
Pretty neat.

Atrax

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks alot to everyone who has helped me to find out what speices the pede in question was now we know it is a scolopendra polymorpha.
thanks again
chyguy