Q about changing substrate

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How often do you guys change your centipedes substrate?
I went to a show a few weeks back and a dealer told me to do it once a month. He said that the centipedes secrete toxins which ultimately will cover the substrate. If not changed regularly, the centipede will literally poison itself.
What do you all think?

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Never heard that centipedes con poison themselves. I believe animals with poisons are mainly immune to their own poison.

Well once a month or when it starts smelling, which ever comes first.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL! That's a new one on me.(guess that doesn't mean it's not possible but...) I wonder where he got that information? :?
I change the substrate every 6 months at the earliest and all of my pede enclosures remain very clean despite that. I regularly remove any prey remains rather than clean the entire substrate. Once your pede has settled in nicely and has come to really "feel at home", I see no reason to upset that if not completely necessary.

Atrax

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
:? sounds to me that dealer was confusing centi with milipedes, but then again, that's only possible if you keep your milis in a much to small container

greetz

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, thanks guys.
I've already got another substrate 'issue'.
I've been using a peat/potting soil mix for the 3 pedes I got at that show about 3 weeks ago. While feeding them today, I noticed little white 'stalks' growing in the substrate. My assumption is that this is some kind of mold.
I'm going to change substrates tommorrow. Can anyone recommend something that does not grow mold so easily? I've heard bed-a-beast is good.