I'll try to breed my S subspinipes mutilans!

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To start with, excuse my bad english....

From what I've heard S s mutilans are one of few scolopendra species that can be kept together, as long as they are very well fed and and ther are many hidingplaces. I know at least two guys who keep their mutilans's in pairs. And that works out just fine.

I have three S s mutilans and I think I will try breeding them. I don't know if I'm going to use the rotation method or if I'll try to have all of them together in one large container. I guess I will try to have them alltogether. At least one of the has to be male
:confused:

Anyone who's tried breeding this species?

I'll keep you updated!

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't tried breeding them but I wish you the best of luck. :)
I have seen pics of S. mutilans being housed together though I can't recall where...I believe it was on a dealer's site. Anyhow, the rotation method calls for much patience and it's a good chance you'll not even see the spermatophore exchange. It's likely you'll never know if there's been a breeding at all until one of them is quite obviously gravid or actually lays the eggs. Of course breeding them directly, you still may not witness this either. Still, it has worked for a handfull of people before. If you are confident housing S. mutilans communally, you may have a better chance of monitoring their interaction. I'm sure you are aware that there is still some likelyhood of one of your centi's being cannibalized even though it's said they can live communally. Hopefully that doesn't happen but even with many communal inverts, it's always a risk.

Again, good luck with the attempts and please keep us posted.

Atrax