First Millipedes

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My wife was taking a walk in the woods surrounding our home and brought home some kind of millipede. They are approx. 3 inches long, are mostly black with yellow banding on either side of each segment and a yellow dot in the center of each segment. They have the ability to curl into a ball and when disturbed/handled they secrete a substance that smells like cherries, I believe someone told me that it is a cyanide secretion. Currently they are housed in the third-largest size Pet Pal on 2 inches of moistened peat with some bark pieces thrown in as well. They have a water dish and I put in some sticks, some romaine lettuce, some banana peel and a couple of pieces of dog kibble. Anything I'm doing wrong or some helpful hints ?

Adrian

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Sounds like you're got things right for the milli to me. I would add some leaves and wood from an oak tree though, mine seem to love this more than cucumbers. And the dog food, don't let that stay in with them for over a day. That seems to be a breeding ground for mites that aren't 'beneficial' to them, at least it is in my millipede enclosures.