Centipede help

slick87

Arachnopeon

i bought a tiger centipede (scolopendra polymorpha)

And near one of the segments theres 2 redish purple sores when the leg connects to the segment

im not sure if you can see but it he cant use the legs that are affected by this thing please i need help to help my pede get better.
Set up
10 gallon tank
potting soil with moss
tropical plant
bark to hide under

nhaverland413

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds like spiracles, they are just breathing holes.

Be careful you don't keep your polymorpha too wet, they live in much dryer areas in comparison to most pedes.

nhaverland413

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
haha no, there is no cure, because there is no illness. (as far as I can tell from your description.) spiracles are necessary for pedes to breathe, they aren't an illness.

slick87

Arachnopeon
but the redness is causing the pede to not use its legs.
but if it is a irritated spiracle then its some thing else

nhaverland413

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
d looks like I'm out of my depth, sorry, I have no idea what that is or how to deal with it.

Hopefully one of the veterans will chime in soon!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello, it could be and injury. If it's not too bad, it should heal underneath and you would see a complete healthy pede after it molts again. It also may have something to do with "mycosis". If you do a search on that, you will come up with all the info you need about it. I saw "potting soil" at that bottom of your post. I don't use potting soil because it's designed to break down for plant roots to feed on, it can even rot and release that sulfur smell if it's left wet long enough. Coco fiber you can buy at the pet stores that come in brick form seems to be much better imo. It takes a long time to break down. It's much "cleaner" than potting soil, who knows what they put in that stuff. Good luck, sounds like the pede will be ok to me.