After fasting for 2 years, guess how many roaches it eats?

dban

Arachnopeon
Ok I'll tell you, NINE! ALL AT ONCE!

My 5" G rosea just stuffed itself after a 2 year fast.

It might've eaten more but I decided 9 is a good enough start :clap:

You can't see them all but all the 9 roaches are there still waving their antennae.

What's the most you've seen your tarantulas eat at once?

Twistedrayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I watched my little 3' rosie eat 7 at once. It was awesome. Her fangs were full, but she still tried to stuff herself with more anyway.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Obviously she was hungry but I do have to concur with Radamanthys' sentiment. Regardless of how long a specimen has gone without eating, I still feed based on abdomen size. If she was still plump I would have only offered a few.

Not saying that my method is the only proper way but a very plump abdomen is more susceptible to damage.

Last edited:

jme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dont forget to add if the abdomen is to big the T might not be able to molt properly ;)

blix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Damn 2 years is a long time, I don't think my nerves could handle that, I would be worried sick. Did you take a picture of it's abdomen before it began eating? I would like to see how it looked after a 2 year fasting.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats nuts, she's a little monster! After all that, she may not eat again for another 2 years. As bryn mentioned, did she molt before or during the fast?

the_mask86

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that's pretty nuts!

how can 9 fit? its like trying to stuff 9 big macs into our human mouths!

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like to feed more than 10 full grown crickets to my T. blondi at once. It's fun to watch, when she has a huge moving cricket ball in her mouth. Needless to say, I don't feed her very often...

dban

Arachnopeon
During the whole 2 years, amazingly, she was fat and still active webbing up everything. I made a thread about it a few days ago with the title 2 years. I still don't get it :?

And I've never seen her molt in her 2 years with me.

Rosies are crazy

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that's pretty nuts!

how can 9 fit? its like trying to stuff 9 big macs into our human mouths!
Have you ever been to a McD's at lunchtime? I've seen them downed consecutively, and two at a time. I am sure someone could do 9 (competition eaters etc).

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most crix iv fed was 15 and it was on accident..Feeding an 8in plus lp i was speed feeding crix..Dumping from a pinch point pet store bag ,Accidently slipped and dumped 15 ( i counted ) in,didnt have time to get them out ,The lp was already chowing them,needless too say she didnt eat the rest of the month : )