Whats wrong with my tarantula? Please help

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Today I came home to find my adult rose hair female on it's side on the side of her tank caught between a plant. So I lightly tapped the glass and she crawled out of there normaly, but then she kept falling fowards and biting the dirt and then went into a twitching deathcurl and kept biting. I put her in an ICU for now. I'm wondering what is wrong with her. 2 things that strike me as possibilities are, too cold or old age. My house stays pretty cold, But I can't imagin it getting lower than high 50s but it is usualy like 65 degrees and thats what it is currently. Also she is most likely wild caught and is female so she could be old, who knows, she has been refusing food for a while and he abdomen has gotten smaller, but not TOO small and it isn't wrinkled. As I am typing this she is standing tall in her ICU with her fangs beared and moving her legs around. So anything else I should do and any ideas on whats wrong?

PICTURES

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48944632@N02/5426099984/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48944632@N02/5425495623/

Thanks for any help!

EDIT I also saw my sling with a semi deathcurl twitching. I think it's too cold, but luckily the sling wasn't too far gone. I have his enclosure humid and heat blasting now hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My house can get to the low 50's and even has hit below 40 this winter. The symptoms you mention and the pictures make me think it's more of an issue with exposure to a chemical. A cleaning product too close to the spider area or something with an insecticide in it. Many product have insecticides in them that we wouldn't think.

i do hope they both pull through for you.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My house can get to the low 50's and even has hit below 40 this winter. The symptoms you mention and the pictures make me think it's more of an issue with exposure to a chemical. A cleaning product too close to the spider area or something with an insecticide in it. Many product have insecticides in them that we wouldn't think.

i do hope they both pull through for you.
The rose hair is in a deathcurl with it's mouth in the water dish now and the sling is back to normal, webbing and looks completely fine. I hope they make it. I have been having the worst luck with tarantulas. I've been in the hobby for less than 2 years and have had 3 deaths and mabey another one or two on the way :(.

EDIT actualy I think the sling was just cleaning himself in a wild fashion. Because I forgot that they often times stick their legs under them alot when they are cleaning, and now he is doing the same thing but also scratching his butt so I know he's cleaning.

Last edited:

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like its kinda moist in there besides if you keep in around 65 degrees then I would say it quite cold. The condition of the tarantula looks fine to me