Collecting in Las Vegas

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Everyone,

I'll be attending a conference in Las Vegas in a few weeks, and would like to do some exploring/collecting while I'm out there. Problem is, I've never been to Vegas, and will be staying at the Paris Hotel, w/o a rental car. Are there any locals on the boards who have suggestions? How far out of the city does one need to go to reach a decent desert habitat? What can I expect to find, where should I look, etc...?

Thanks for any input!

Tim

8SEXYLEGS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't live in Las vegas but I have visited there a lot. Okay, Vegas, is a giant city in the middle of a dessert-there is dessert all around you, once you get outside the city, for miles in a all directions there is dessert. I' not sure which area's would be good to go taranula hunting though, because I have never done that. But just know that the desert is near, good luck and have fun!

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. I don't know how I'm going to get outside of the city at this point, but it seems like too good of an opportunity to pass up. Knowing my luck though, I'll wander into some USAF testing range, or something. Wouldn't be the first time... :eek:

Tim

Sting Crazy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've only been to Vegas once, but I can tell you that you won't have to go very far at all to find good desert environment. you probably won't even have to leave the city limits.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
8SEXYLEGS said:
I don't live in Las vegas but I have visited there a lot. Okay, Vegas, is a giant city in the middle of a dessert-there is dessert all around you, once you get outside the city, for miles in a all directions there is dessert. I' not sure which area's would be good to go taranula hunting though, because I have never done that. But just know that the desert is near, good luck and have fun!
Gawd, this is so fluffy...But I gotta....What kinda dessert is it in? I hope it's in a big old caramel "sunday"... ;)

I bet , like sting crazy said, you'll find things right in town....I'm sure they use alot of pesticides, but look around and you'll see stuff....
T

Spider_Monkey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Be careful wandering around in the desert surrounding Las Vegas. A basic logic is embedded in those who wish to rob you; People who are stranded on the road outside of Vegas have cash money to bet with. I wouldn't go T hunting anywhere near there. :(

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spider_Monkey said:
Be careful wandering around in the desert surrounding Las Vegas. A basic logic is embedded in those who wish to rob you; People who are stranded on the road outside of Vegas have cash money to bet with. I wouldn't go T hunting anywhere near there. :(
Hmmm... I never really thought about that, but it does make sense. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm still going to give it a shot, but I'll keep that in mind.

Tim