Looking for info about huntsman spiders

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 15 tarantulas and I am now developing an interest in true spiders. I like the look of the huntsman spiders. Could someone give some information on what they need, how long they live.... I know they are fast and aggressive. Also a good place to get them. I see some for sale in the classifieds.

Any other good spiders to keep? Trapdoor maybe?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To my knowledge huntsman need basically the care of any arboreal tarantula.

As for other spiders, I personally love trapdoor spiders. They are some of the coolest things out there. Other true spiders, like Latrodectus sp., are also some of my favorite things in the hobby.

I hope you find something that captures your interest.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
one little comment

some huntsmen need it dry! Olios sp. come to mind. if they are kept too moist their feet turn black and i believe can mycosis. I saw this with my Olios giganteus

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dry is easier to do than humid anyway. What is the lifespan of these spiders?

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not sure what the lifespan is, but it is at least a few years. I got a WC Heteropoda venatoria in October of 2006 that proceeded to lay several eggsacs. The last of the viable eggsacs hatched on March of 2007 and the babies are only now getting to the size of the mom. I haven't seen any signs of a mature male in the babies yet, so I either have all females or the males aren't mature yet. Regardless, the mom is still alive and eating after 15 months of having her. If the babies take about a year to mature, then the mom is at least ~2 1/2 years old.

I'm not sure if this helps you or not, but I figured I'd share my observations.